Junglepilot

Well Known Member
I notice as I am making up the senders & floats getting ready to seal the tanks, I have a 385B & 385C, one being designated on the box RH and the other LH.

Seems obvious, but as Van's instructions are unclear on this, the LH goes in the left tank & vice versa I am assuming? Then again maybe it doesn't matter at all? I am going into a Skyview vs. standard Van's steam gauges FWIW.

Thanks

Last edited:
When you fit the senders into the tanks, you'll notice the screw hole patterns are not symmetrical. Consequently left and right are important to match properly -- otherwise the senders won't align. It helps to mark them before you start putting that wonderful pro-seal goo all over them.

Chris

Thanks

I had already played with the LH sender, holes lined up with LH cover and so on. The RH lined up also. But I didn't try swapping, then I may have noticed the alignment issue.

What happened was that I order another unit as I forgot to make the tiny ben on the float wire for the RH unit and order another from Summit Racing nearby.

Anyway, I ordered another LH unit. In any event it is fine as I only needed the float wire.

Your answer does bring up the question about where you recommend applying ProSeal on the fuel sender panel; both the main hole and around the sender itself. As they both have gaskets, I have sealed the inside edges and nutplates. Do you recommend applying it around the outside and on mating surfaces as well?

Thanks

Sandy

You can check for other threads on this site that discuss whether or not to use a gasket between the mount plate and the wing and the sender and the mount plate. I've spoken to people who have used each method and if done properly either works fine.

For the wing to mount plate interface, assuming you use the supplied cork gaskets, I'd suggest putting pro seal on both sides of the gasket all around and also on the screws as you tighten the unit down. Once cured, do not turn the screws to tighten them any further -- the turning action may break the seal and create the very leak you're trying to prevent -- I know, I've done it. This is true whether you use a gasket or not.

For the sender unit itself, you might have the supplied thick rubber gasket. Again there are those who argue for using it and those who argue against it. My original installation used the rubber gasket and I spent a lot of time chasing leaks. I could stop them for a while and then they would come back. The trick on installation, I believe, is to not tighten the gasket so hard that you mushroom out the gasket. One mechanic told me he likes to use the rubber gasket but said to avoid putting any lubricant on it as that will soften the gasket which leads to the mushrooming effect and that promotes leaks by elongating the gasket holes. I finally removed my rubber gaskets this year and found the holes around the screws had become oblong and thus let fuel leak around them. So I pro-sealed the senders directly to the mount plate without a gasket. I haven't had any leaks since. So for my 2 cents, I'd not use the rubber gaskets.

Good luck.

Chris

Thanks

Thanks. Been off the grid a while. Getting new hangar ready at 0A6 (Tuskegee/Moton Field). I will go with the sealant on both sides of the cork gasket and try your method on the fuel senders (no gasket). Worst case, I can always add that back later. I am of the "more is better" camp on the Pro-Seal and will just make sure I get good coverage first time.

Thanks Again!