prkaye

Well Known Member
One hesitation about Stewart Systems is that I wonder how long the product has been tested in the field. Has their product been around long enough to know whether it will stand up well on an airplane for a decade or more?

I haven't seen any information on longevity, but their gallery shows that at least one airplane was painted in 1999.

Tracy.

we're in the same place

we were doing research about trying it also. but we're in the same boat as you concerned about how it will hold up. I found a navy test where they did tests with waterbourne paint. which is what the stewart sys is, and the results as far as I can see were that it held up well as far as bonding but it tended to chalk up. we used it on our boats for a short period of time about 15 years ago. diff brand than stewart systems I think was system three cant remember though. anyway we found the same thing it would chalk up on the surface. and we also found out the hard way that water would seep right through it. you could set the boat in the water and watch water seep right through the hull. yikes! like I said though that was 15 years ago, so the chemistry is probably alot better now. but because its still an unknown we're going to use ppg desothane probably the 8800 buffable topcoat.
good luck
Erik

http://www.enviro-navair.navy.mil/public/factsheets/files/2003/zero_voc_factsheet03.pdf

I really like Kirker paint. Its an off-brand, sprays nice and is very durable. For about $600 in materials you can do a nice base/clear paint job on an RV.

www.smartshoppersinc.com is where I get Kirker paint from.