psychose

Hello,

Has anywone used this primer and what have been the results? Is it as tough as it's reputed to be?

I have used Nobel's AKZO and am very satisfied but it's deadly stuff and the green color isn't so appealing, but it's tough as nails. If an equivalent but less toxic product is available, I'd use it for the remaining priming I need to do. Grey color would be nice also.

Would appreciate any comments.

Normand RV8 Fuselage slo-build :)

RE:Good Stuff

Hello,

Has anywone used this primer and what have been the results? Is it as tough as it's reputed to be?

I have used Nobel's AKZO and am very satisfied but it's deadly stuff and the green color isn't so appealing, but it's tough as nails. If an equivalent but less toxic product is available, I'd use it for the remaining priming I need to do. Grey color would be nice also.

Would appreciate any comments.

Normand RV8 Fuselage slo-build :)

I am using the Stewart Systems formally Aircraft Finishing Sytem to prime and paint my plane. I choose it because it is much less DEADLY.......than other high VOC primers / paint and is easy to clean up. It is important for good results to have the right gun (1.3 tip...I am using what Dan uses which is a Devilibiss #3 Finishline) and you must have a compressor that will give at least a continues 13 plus CFM.

I have found that the Eckofill white or UV gray is very durable but more difficult to sand as compared to the Eckoprimer/sealer 7510. It is also very important to have a very clean surface before applying the primer of paint.

Check out this thread for more of the good the bad and the ugly of my trivals in using Stewarts products...the bad and the ugly has been my learning curve experiences not the product...............:eek:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=33556

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... painting

Once the learning curve is gone through

I have been very happy with Stewart Systems primer. It is one less toxic thing in the shop and seems to be plenty tough.

They are nice folks to deal with as well.

RE:7510

I think he is talking about the newer Epoxy primer????

If I am on the right track......You are thinking of the SS Primer Sealer product number 7510....Great Stuff.....just used some today. The great thing about it is it is not only a primer but a sealer as the name suggests. Therefore no top coat is need if you use it as an interior primer...oh no is there another primer war about to begin!!!!!!!!!! NOT:eek:

http://www.stewartsystems.aero/product/2683f8ef-51c6-44fd-8728-93cbb3fb09a2.aspx

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... paint and even primer !!!!!!!:)

I still think he is asking about the new epoxy primer listed as "EkoPoxy Epoxy Primer/Sealer" it is more expensive than the "SS Primer/Sealer". So new that there is no actual pics of it on the website.

Might be some good stuff!

Last edited:
RE:Cutting Edge

Brian

Boy you guys are really on the cutting edge with this stuff. In my conversations with the good folks at Stewart's this product has never been mentioned to me. Maybe they don't want me to be the one to try it then mess up a good thing.....:eek:

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Painting 2nd of three colors on the fuse today...will it ever end!!!!!!!!!

I still think he is asking about the new epoxy primer listed as "EkoPoxy Epoxy Primer/Sealer" it is more expensive than the "SS Primer/Sealer". So new that there is no actual pics of it on the website.

Might be some good stuff!

Got this response back from Doug when I asked about this stuff:

"EkoPoxy is our waterborne epoxy primer. It has a 4 hour pot life and is extremely durable. We have done a lot of testing on different materials such as aluminum, fiberglass, copper etc. These have been put in the Gulf of Florida near Naples FL. for warm saltwater durability testing. It is fantastic with excellent resistance to that environment. It will withstand rub tests with MEK, lacquer thinner, acetone, gas. We really don't know of anything that this won't stand up to.
This is an excellent product for aluminum and steel boat hulls that are in salt water.
All of that and it is still easy to work with. It sprays out quite nicely and is pretty easy to sand. Pretty much like our single part primer to use, but with all the solvent resistant qualities.
Hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Doug Stewart"

Ekopoxy Primer

Hi guys,

thanks for all your input. I am referring to the new product called Eko Poxy, a water based two part primer. At first I could not find it on their website and now it's there. There was a short but glowing write up on it the November issue of Kitplanes.

I've decided to give it a try as soon as I receive the color samples. I'm hesitating between smoke grey and charcoal grey. While the Stewart Systems web site does show the colors, my computer monitor may not be rendering them right. Ron at the Vancouver (Canada) store was plenty helpful and sent me some info right away.

Will let you know how I find the stuff when I finally use it. That'll probably be in a month or so.

cheers and have a good Xmas,

Normand RV8 fuselage

I've been using the "original" (AFS) primer/sealer from Stewart Systems on my empennage and I love it. It's very easy to use, cleans up with water, and has no strong fumes/odor. But I have two gripes about it: (1) it needs a full 10 days at 65 degrees F. to fully cure, (2) even after fully cured, it wipes off *easily* with lacquer thinner, which I discovered when I took only a very slightly damp rag to a primed part that I had subsequently marked on with a Sharpie and wanted to remove the ink. The primer came off as easily as the ink, if not easier. :-(

True, I don't plan to be flying through storms of lacquer thinner, but I would like something a *little* more resistant. At least make me rub hard a few times before coming off.

That said, I'll probably continue to use it, except now that I see their new EkoPoxy product I'm definitely intrigued! They say it's resistant to lacquer thinner, MEK, etc. I'm looking forward to hearing how long it takes to fully cure (as in good enough so that you can rivet, dimple, etc.).

Watched a guy in our builder's group apply a Stewart primer (sorry, don't know what variety) and it came out great--better than anything I had ever done with good old zinc chromate. And it was his first time.

Ekopoxy primer

Hello guys,

I have since received and tried out the EkoPoxy with excellent results. A little longer to prepare (5 parts base, 1 part hardener, 1 part water and then pass thru paint filter), but a LOT less smelly, EASY to clean up, and just as tough as AKZO epoxy primer as far as I can tell. I have been experimenting with the color, Ron from Western Aviation Services was kind enough to add a container of black colour base to permit me to darken to my liking (the Smoke grey wasn't dark enough and Charcoal grey too dark).

So far, an excellent product, environment friendly and great service from the supplier. Highly recommended.

Normand RV8 Fuselage