RV8RIVETER

Well Known Member
Patron
Budget dictates painting the airplane ourselves.
Narrowed the choices down to two; the Stewart Poly or PPG Concept.

Would kindly like to ask some feedback on the two, anyone have recommendations for either, experienced words to share?

Thank you for any input.

Last edited:
No experience with Stewart. For PPG, consider using their Delta [polyurethane] rather than the Concept [urethane] line of paint. Price is similar to Concept for a better product. I can even give you the Delta paint code for the gray powder-coat that Vans uses. I painted my entire interior that color. I really like the Delta. It's easy to spray, doesn't run easily and is extremely durable.
Charlie Kuss

The only one I have experience with is PPG Concept. Once I learned to work with it, I found it very forgiving. I initially had some problems with orange peel. I attribute that to wetting down my floor with water prior to spraying. Concept sands and buffs extremely well, letting you fix mistakes after the fact. The depth of color is also very impressive.

try Kirker

I've painted with Kirker base/clear and have had excellent results with it. Durability has not been an issue. Cost: HALF of PPG. Kirker has price comparisons on their site: www.kirkerautomotive.com. They only have a limited choice of colors, which is how they keep costs down.

A friend of mine painted an RV-3 with Kirker base/clear...showplane finish.

I turned another friend of mine who used to own a body shop onto Kirker, and he sprayed six gallons of it to repaint his motor home, and is very pleased with it.

Another friend of mine is now painting his Thatcher CX2 with Kirker, also is having great results.

You can get it online from smartshoppersinc.com.

Last edited:
PPG

The PPG products mentioned so far are all automotive and many have had good luck with them.

This is their true aviation product and is superior:
http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/Aerospace/Coatings/

Local shop uses JetGlo with excellent results at more reasonable cost. Have seen many planes come out of this shop and hold up well from Cubs and our local school trainers to a whole L-39 team.

Good info guys

The PPG products mentioned so far are all automotive and many have had good luck with them.

This is their true aviation product and is superior:
http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/Aerospace/Coatings/
snipped.

David,
Have you priced the DeSoto products? I'm sure they are superior, as they are designed to hold up on aircraft that do Mach 0.85! Not sure we need that type of performance, if it comes with a matching price tag. PPG's Delta is their equivalent to DuPont's Imron and Sherwin Williams JetGlo. These are all polyurethane products.

Bob,
Does Kirker Automotive offer any polyurethane products? Thanks for the heads up on Kirker.

Charlie Kuss