vlittle

Well Known Member
Vx Aviation is a frequent contributor (both financially and otherwise) to VAF, and I hope Doug will indulge us if we do a tiny bit of promo on this site, since it's relative to what we all do:

Summary of Announcement:
=========================

VICTORIA, BC---February 16, 2011---Vx Aviation today announced the
introduction of the first stereo audio mixers designed specifically for
experimental aircraft applications. The AMX-4A and AMX-4B dramatically
simplify and lower the cost of audio system installation in both existing
and new aircraft. Both units are virtually pin-compatible with the
industry-leading AMX-2A monophonic 10 channel miniature audio mixer,
introduced in 2008.

Both the AMX-4A and AMX-4B units provide five independent stereo input
channels. Three channels are fixed-level, designed to connect to audio
sources that have their own volume controls, such as EFIS systems and XM
radios. Two of the channels have screwdriver adjustable audio levels,
providing the flexibility required when connecting to fixed level sources.
Monophonic sources are supported by connecting together the left and right
inputs of any input channel.

The AMX-4A low output version works seamlessly with PS Engineering
intercoms, providing the 2 volt peak-to-peak input voltage limiting
required by the PS Engineering products. The AMX-4B
high output version has no such limiting and provides up to 12 volts
peak-to-peak drive capability and a gain of 15 decibels, making it
compatible with intercoms that require input amplification or for directly
driving headphones.
=========================

AMX-4A-4B-photo.jpg

For more information, please see our website

For further inquiries, please contact me vern_little (the at sign) vx-aviation.com. Thank-you.

Vern Little
Vx Aviation
www.vx-aviation.com

Last edited:
Vern, I absolutely love the way you think "out of the box" - literally! Packaging the electronics in a simple back shell is lightweight, novel, and brilliant when building for our fairly compact airplanes - I keep trying to figure out where I "need" one of your little things, just because I think they're clever....one of these days, I promise!

Paul

Vern, I absolutely love the way you think "out of the box" - literally! Packaging the electronics in a simple back shell is lightweight, novel, and brilliant when building for our fairly compact airplanes - I keep trying to figure out where I "need" one of your little things, just because I think they're clever....one of these days, I promise!

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

Once I figured out how to do this, some amazing things happened... the cost of packaging collapsed, the size and weight collapsed and it has become so economical to ship them that I do so for free anywhere in the world!

It also enforces an engineering discipline on features and functions... which tames the creeping feature creature and makes decisions easy.

Vern

Paul,
A standard 0.063" thick PCB will fit nicely between the solder cups on a standard D-sub connector. Makes for a nifty way to package misc circuits. I did my annunciator controller, panel dimmer, etc. this way. Use PCB Express or similar to whip up a board (make multiple circuits on the same standard sized "blank" with rows of vias between for break-away perforations to save money). You usually use the inner connector pins since a rectangular board has to be smaller than the full connector width to clear the backshell screws. You can pack a lot on a board with surface-mount components.

Paul,
A standard 0.063" thick PCB will fit nicely between the solder cups on a standard D-sub connector. Makes for a nifty way to package misc circuits. I did my annunciator controller, panel dimmer, etc. this way. Use PCB Express or similar to whip up a board (make multiple circuits on the same standard sized "blank" with rows of vias between for break-away perforations to save money). You usually use the inner connector pins since a rectangular board has to be smaller than the full connector width to clear the backshell screws. You can pack a lot on a board with surface-mount components.

That's the essence of it. I don't use rectangular boards, however.

V

Correction to post

I had sent this to Vern early this morning but did not get a reply, so I post it now to assure that his post is corrected-

"Dear Vern:

Congrats on your new stereo amplifier you announced today on Van's Airforce.

However, I would like to correct your post and thought I would email you directly first rather than making a post on Van's.

You state "The AMX-4A low output version works seamlessly with PS Engineering
intercoms, providing the critical 2 volt peak-to-peak voltage limiting
required that prevents damage to the PS Engineering products."

The music inputs in our intercoms and audio panels will never be damaged by any audio device that is not designed for powering loud speakers, such is found in automobile players. This information has been widely known now for at least 10 years, and fewer and fewer individuals are even installing car stereos (advent of iPods) and when they do, they know to use the low level output from those devices.

So, could you please remove the quote I have pasted to this email from your post? I'd really would appreciate it.

Good luck with your business, it looks like you have found a great niche.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering"

I had sent this to Vern early this morning but did not get a reply, so I post it now to assure that his post is corrected-

"Dear Vern:

Congrats on your new stereo amplifier you announced today on Van's Airforce.

However, I would like to correct your post and thought I would email you directly first rather than making a post on Van's.

You state "The AMX-4A low output version works seamlessly with PS Engineering
intercoms, providing the critical 2 volt peak-to-peak voltage limiting
required that prevents damage to the PS Engineering products."

The music inputs in our intercoms and audio panels will never be damaged by any audio device that is not designed for powering loud speakers, such is found in automobile players. This information has been widely known now for at least 10 years, and fewer and fewer individuals are even installing car stereos (advent of iPods) and when they do, they know to use the low level output from those devices.

So, could you please remove the quote I have pasted to this email from your post? I'd really would appreciate it.

Good luck with your business, it looks like you have found a great niche.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering"

Hi Mark, sorry for the late reply, I don't often check my VAF mail. I have corrected the original post, plus any online documents that refer to this issue.

It was a misunderstanding based on information in your datasheets. Our devices will still actively limit to 2 volts peak-to-peak to prevent input overloading, but it's clear now that your units will not be damaged even if over-driven.

We have a lot of customers who use PS Engineering intercoms and audio panels with our mixers (AMX-2A mono as well as the new stereo devices, plus our music adapaters). PS Engineering seems to be the most popular in the industry and we have never had an application problem with your products.

The AMX-4A/4B products solve the voltage mix-match problem by providing two channels that are variable levels in addition to the 3 fixed level channels. Some EFIS devices, for example, put out high level (12 Vpp) stereo audio levels that would normally overload your entertainment inputs. We take care of that.

So, it was my mistake that I misread your datasheets. I apologize for this, and will donate $50.00 to VAF as my punishment.

Vern

Last edited: