RV8R999

Well Known Member
Anyone with experience using a Sterba wood prop with an 0-360 180hp?

Likes, dislikes?

Thanks,

Ken

Sterba prop

I have a sterba prop on my-3 with a 160hp, I love it!:D I have yet to over-rev the motor, it preforms as advertised.

I am happy with mine. .

I'm happy with mine. I had an Aymar Demuth come apart and Ed was the only one who was able to get me a replacement fast. Everyone else was at least a few months out. He made me one from scratch for my 200hp O-360, 10:1, EI/Mag RV6A setup. He got it shipping to me within a week and it cost less than half of any other wood prop I checked out. I told him what I had and I think he hit the pitch just right. It gives me 2600rpm at 5500ft and a hair over 160KTS with old style wheelpants.

Just putting around I get around 125KTS or better with 2150rpm and around 6gph burn.

BadMRB -

Can you tell me what your static RPM is? Do you know what pitch he used?

Thanks,

Ken

70in X 86

My original Aymar Demuth was 68 X 81 and the Sterba is a 70 X 86.

I got slightly different numbers from the couple different manufacturers I discussed it with also. I guess how they measure it, where, what type of shape the prop has all makes a difference. I did measure the two props at a couple points on the outer half of the blade and they were within 1 degree of each other . . . as accurate as my guage was anyway.

The Sterba has a much thicker root with a narrower tip. The Aymar Demuth was a fairly thin blade, especially at the root and wider all the way to the tip.

I posted a year ago about the change and what numbers I was getting.. . . however the main difference ended up being the airfilter I used as a temp replacement until my new K&N showed up.

I believe my static rpm now is somewhere around 2350 to 2400 rpm, but I've only done that a couple of times last year. It stays in that ballpark on climbout and wont get to 2500 rpm and above until I start to level off.

Steve