Sterba

Excellent in my opinion. I purchased my 6A with a Sterba prop and had no complaints. I flew behind it for a year but traded it out for a metal prop for protection from our Oregon rain and I felt I needed more weight up front. I lent it to a guy who was flying a 6 back to Texas and he eventually bought it. Ten years and still pulling an RV around the skies.

YMMV

My buddy had one on his -4

It was a smooth prop and a pretty good value but he unfortunately splintered it on the runway.

The two-bladed Catto that replaced it is equally smooth and at least 6 MPH faster.

Regards,

I had a Sterba on my -3, 0-235, 115 hp. They are a good prop for the money, but after some re-pitching issues I decided to put on a Catto. Much better RPM range, smoother, and prettier! ;)

A buddy of mine has a Sterba on his -6, 0-360 180HP, with over 1,450 hours on it. He flies in rain, snow, what ever. I think he has refinished it 3-4 times now by himself, then static balances it and flies it for another couple if years.

Last edited:
130 hrs and A-OK

I have a Sterba on my RV-6 with O-360 and it's smooth and works great. I bought it used from Rick Gray and he said it worked good on the -7 he took it off of. When I did speed tests with my newly installed wheel fairings and pants (3 leg GPS) I had a top speed of 201 mph at 75% power, 8000 ft. This is right at what Van said a -6 should do (199). On climb out you need to get the speed up to get the best climb performance, I use 120 kts. I have also had a lot of people comment on how nice the wood prop looked.

I started out with a second hand Sterba on my O-360 RV-6. It was a great prop and I put a couple hundred hours on it before I sold it and bought a Catto 3-blade. I sold it to another RVer but I don't know if he is flying yet.

They are good props for the money and a very good value. There are better props out there, like the Catto, but they are several times the price. FWIW I'm planning on a Sterba prop on my Breezy if I ever get that far.