tim.randles

It seems that introductory threads are a standard part of the VAF forum experience, so...

Hi! I've been dreaming of building an RV for around 10 years and lurking on the VAF site for as long as it's been around. I finally decided that if I didn't actually purchase a kit and start building that I'd never have an RV to fly. Van's duly cashed my check and sent me an RV-7 empennage kit. Hopefully I can begin the seemingly endless cycle of drilling and deburring holes this weekend.

When I get frustrated by the process I'll be sure to complain here, since it's largely due to this community's existence that I've decided to take the plunge. Van's has no greater advocate for the RV series of kitplanes than the extremely welcoming VAF community.

Cheers!
Tim

Last edited:
Welcome. I'm only a few months ahead of you and have already been very frustrtated, but all in all it's great. Best of luck!

Welcom

I finally decided that if I didn't actually purchase a kit and start building that I'd never have an RV to fly.

Well said.

Welcome to the building community. Have fun, it's quite an adventure.

Welcome!!

Welcome to our world. For guys like me, that work with our hands, it is a most rewarding experience to build one. I have found that it will cost way more money, and take way more time than you figured, and with that being said, way more fun to build

Good Luck!!:

Frustration?

Hi Tim, You just wait....... Yes, there are a lot of tedius tasks here with drilling and deburring. And then you'll ask why? The thing that gets me is when you install this, then install that, remove the first thing and install a third thing. Next, remove the second thing and reinstall the first thing and fit the fourth thing. Then remove the first one and the third thing and reinstall the second, well, you get the picture. I tend to get frustrated real easily, not a good thing when doing this. That's why it's taken me so long to get where I am. But more power to you, try to stick with it.

Exciting Times

Congrats Tim,

You are building at a good time. I think over the next few years the avionics are going to improve and the prices will likely come down. Lots of exciting stuff in the works that you will be able to take advantage of.

Good luck on the build.

Gary Bricker

Take your time up front and learn the process. The instructions assume a lot down the road. This will cut the frustrations later. Don't be afraid to ask. All of us have had some of the same questions. Welcome.

Yes - We've all asked them.

Just post up - this is a vast resource - and someone will be quick to respond.

Here's one answer to start you off ...

Yes - the longeron/firewall attach weldments that you get in the fuse kit WILL most likely be split along the outer vertex - this is just the powdercoat separating the two faces, and is normal ...

;)

Mosy important question and answer

Here's the most important question and answer. (made tounge in cheek :))

Question: "hey I need help/answer to fill in the blank"

Answer: "Search the forums, it has allready been asked/answered/discussed several times! :D

Here's the most important question and answer. (made tounge in cheek :))

Question: "hey I need help/answer to fill in the blank"

Answer: "Search the forums, it has allready been asked/answered/discussed several times! :D

LOL! I've been a forum moderator/site administrator for a number of other groups over the years. I'm SO happy to see users of this forum suggest to others that they learn what "search" means and how to use it!

Thanks for the welcome everyone.