miyu1975

Well Known Member
Is there any reason why I cannot use a step up converter for a GNS 430. I see many of the 28v only versions come up for sale on eBay and was wondering if I could use a step up converter if I purchased one.

If so...any specific recommendations on the converter.

thanks

I would look into the cost to replace the power supply electronics with a 14V version before looking into an external step-up converter. Don't know if that's possible, but I would expect that there would be a bunch of separate printed circuit boards and power supply components and that swapping out some stuff would result in a 14V version. Might void the TSO and present some serial number issues, and if so maybe Garmin would do a conversion like that? Who knows, maybe it's just some DIP switches that makes the difference between a 14V and 28V version...

I would look into the cost to replace the power supply electronics with a 14V version before looking into an external step-up converter. Don't know if that's possible, but I would expect that there would be a bunch of separate printed circuit boards and power supply components and that swapping out some stuff would result in a 14V version. Might void the TSO and present some serial number issues, and if so maybe Garmin would do a conversion like that? Who knows, maybe it's just some DIP switches that makes the difference between a 14V and 28V version...

Well, Garmin doesn't support the 28V version anymore so I doubt they would be any help.

Step up converters can be very noisy, spewing out a lot of EMI if not well shielded and filtered.

Other than that, find a unit that will provide the desired power. Use shielded wire, grounded at one end only, and possibly add a .01 uF COG ceramic capacitor at the input to the Garmin's power supply input.

Note, too, that the input current to the power supply will be more than twice that required by the Garmin. So, if the Garmin is using 5 A at 28 V, the power supply will probably draw around 11 to 12 A at 14 volts.