RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Since Van's is closed today I thought I would ask here;

I need some of the step tubing, ACS calls it "Streamlined" tubing. I need to match the stuff my step is made from (8A).

So does anyone know what size it might be. I need to place the order today for other stuff as I leave the country Sunday and will not have a chance to call Van's before hand.

ACS page with the tube sizes: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/4130streamline.php

Thanks

One would think than

Since Van's is closed today I thought I would ask here;

I need some of the step tubing, ACS calls it "Streamlined" tubing. I need to match the stuff my step is made from (8A).

So does anyone know what size it might be. I need to place the order today for other stuff as I leave the country Sunday and will not have a chance to call Van's before hand.

ACS page with the tube sizes: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/4130streamline.php

Thanks

With all the A's flying out there that one helpful owner or builder, would walk to their RV Factory and measure one for you. I asked a year ago and could not get it either. I don't need a step so terminated the pursuit.

Tubing

With all the A's flying out there that one helpful owner or builder, would walk to their RV Factory and measure one for you. I asked a year ago and could not get it either. I don't need a step so terminated the pursuit.

Mine are handy
Looks like this is a match.
1.6850.714.0491-1/43/40.62903-11600$13.60

Last edited:
Mine are handy
Looks like this is a match.
Major:1.6850"
Minor: .714"
Wall thickness .049"
1-1/43/40.62903-

Part number: 11600

Price: $13.60

Thanks !!!

OK - I did a few calculations - and this section can handle 100 Ft-lb of bending moment at yield of 63.1 ksi. If someone could now tell us the length of the step and its offset distance from the fuse, then we will have a theoretical step weight capability.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thank you guys for running down the numbers. I will measure my step when I get back, if someone can run the numbers it would be fun to know what the mathematical limit is on the step as far as weight.

I can tell you I babied my step but i do weigh 260 and mine cracked in the first 100 hours.

Cheers

In My Opinion

An ordinary stress analysis will not show the actual strength of the step assembly, because the failures I've seen photographed and posted on VAF seem to indicate that the cracking is caused by local deflections in the tube wall.

The tube wall is fixed at the weld, while the overall tube permits deflection. I think - not verified by analysis, just a hypothesis, nothing more - that this causes high local stresses in the wall, leading to early fatigue failure.

Dave

Thank you guys for running down the numbers. I will measure my step when I get back, if someone can run the numbers it would be fun to know what the mathematical limit is on the step as far as weight.

I can tell you I babied my step but i do weigh 260 and mine cracked in the first 100 hours.

Cheers

FWIW Here are the pictures I took of the Vans step reinforcement.

Vans%2520Step%2520Repair%25202.JPG

vans%2520step%2520repair.JPG