I noticed on the video that JerryG150 shot at SnF of the new RV-12 that the step is placed in FRONT of the wing. Looks like you step up onto the wing from the leading edge side.

Now being an RV-9a "tire kicker" at this point, I couldn't help but wonder if that step placement would be possible on the -9a? It would seem to overcome the problem of someone stepping on the flaps and causing havoc. I have to admit that climbing aboard from the leading edge side seams a little strange, but it does have it's merrits. Since I haven't started on an RV of my own yet I don't know what the airframe structure is like in that area so I thought I would come to the fountain of RV knowledge and see what others think.:confused:

Dave
RV-9a wannabe

The flaps on the RV are almost never a problem with someone stepping on them. I always keep mine down (as do most RVers). "Flaps up" is on my engine start checklist. On the -A models you really can't see the step with the flaps up.

FWIW, there are a few other airplanes where you step onto the wing from the front, including the Diamond DA-20. The Diamond is actually *very* easy to get into because it has what I like to call a "suicide canopy" (sort of like a suicide door in a classic car/hotrod). The canopy tips up and is hinged at the aft section. One thing the DA-20 allows you to do is to step from the leading edge of the wing directly into the floor of the cockpit...there's no need to put your feet in the seats. I'm curious if the RV-12 is the same. Anybody?