apatti

Well Known Member
All,

In past posts some people have listed problems with the step interfering with the rudder cable on 8A's. I have a few questions on this...

Can the step be installed in such a way that minimizes or eliminates this problem?

Some have addressed the problem by repositioning the rudder cable pass-through holes in the bulkheads around the step. Doesn't this cause the rudder cable to wear against the edges of the holes? I understand there will be a snap bushing in the holes. However, it still seems constant scrapping against the edge of the hole would not be good.

Some have addressed the problem by cutting into the step and re-welding it somehow. Unfortunately, welding is not a skill I have.

Any other suggestions???

Thanks,

step mount

Tony, I made a small patch, closed the orginal hole and relocated it slightly higher than the orginal, pushed in the snap bushing and done. dont overcomplicate it. Its not that big a deal.

cable clearance

Tony. I marked where the cable went over the tube then I cut out a u shape pice inverted it then welded back in to create a slot for the cable to pass through without any interferance.

Good Luck

William Bennett
RV8A
Austin, Tx.
512-266-2326

Kitfoxbill said:
Tony. I marked where the cable went over the tube then I cut out a u shape pice inverted it then welded back in to create a slot for the cable to pass through without any interferance.

I did the same thing.

8A Step/cable interference

I called Vans when I built my 8A and they told me to mark the location of the tube at the point the the cable crosses it, then on a bench with a hammer put a generous dent in the tube prior to installation. I thought this was an odd answer but it worked great.

Pat Stewart

apatti said:
All,

In past posts some people have listed problems with the step interfering with the rudder cable on 8A's. I have a few questions on this...

Can the step be installed in such a way that minimizes or eliminates this problem?

snipped
Any other suggestions???

Thanks,

Tony,
I suppose that depends on how tall or limber you are. I looked into installing steps on both sides of my 8A. I'm 6'4" tall. I finally decided to forego the steps altogether. I plan to keep a small, collapseable step stool in the forward baggage compartment. This will be used to help those of shorter stature enter/exit my aircraft.
Once my passenger is boarded, I can stow the collapseable stool in the forward baggage compartment, before getting in myself. With my long legs, I don't need a step. Many 6A posters have reported that it's nearly impossible to keep paint on the steps. They say that once the paint gets scuffed, the steps rust and look ugly. They also report whacking their shins on them to often.
Just another idea.
Charlie Kuss