bret

Well Known Member
Question for those folks who are flying with a wheel up front, what did you do with the finish on the step, I saw one in Stead that chrome steps, and just wondering if paint would hold up, or if plating is a better option.

I powder coated mine. I didn't think that regular paint would hold up that well here. There is a potential for a color mismatch however.

I was going to powder coat them, but never got around to it. I may still. My thought on color mis-match was just to do them black or paint over the powder coat to match. It wouldn't last great, but the step would be protected by the powder coating. After installing my steps after the floor was in, I do NOT want to replace them!

Paint works just fine. Just place a piece of 3M anti slip tape on the contact part.

I accepted the risks of hydrogen embrittlement ( I also ground the weld to what is called a "sanitary finish" in the food industry) and plated them.

100 hrs so far. It is not long enough to claim success.

I have powder coat on the Buckstop winch bumper on the truck, it has faded and is chipping, given it is parked outside, but still. What are the different methods of plating, and is one better than another, as far as no step, I think I would damage the flap or myself, probably myself. As far as speed, just add HP and other tricks.

I painted mine and they still look great after a couple of years. Problem is the passenger side cracked (not from misuse). Since mine is nicely painted and clearcoated it going to be tough to change and then match. In hindsight powerdercoating may have been a better choice. (for matching)

Don't want to start a thread drift but it seems most passenger steps will eventually crack. Plenty of threads on "cracked steps".

Just something to think about.