Veetail88

Well Known Member
Id call Stein but it's the weekend. Course maybe you'll read this stein!

I bought all my avionics from Stein a couple of years ago and unfortunately I'm just wiring the components together now.

Anyway, the problem. Though I didn't have them do a complete harness, all the components came with very nice semi complete harness not all connected together.

Problem is, the wonderful drawing I received with it showing which wire connects to which pin on the different components doesn't identify wire color used.

For example, I'll have a shielded pair marked "GPS RS232 out A&B".
Inside the shield will be a white wire and a white wire with a blue stripe! It's quite difficult to track down the pin each is connected to as there is a very large bundle of wires to pick through. :(

Does anyone know if they use a convention, such as maybe the A wire is always white and the B wire always has the stripe or something like that?

I'd be cruising right along if I knew.

Thanks gang!

The blue (stripe) is generally "Low" (ground/return), but I would verify before making that assumption. Ring out one of them and then you can be pretty sure the rest will follow the same convention.

wire

If it helps any I think one of Steins recent Kitplanes articles mentions his protocal for colored wires

Wire colors

I recently had to check my GPS wiring to change GPS units. Stein did my prewire and their notes had white as GPS data and blue/white as ground. They were shielded and the shield terminates before the GPS.