jonweisw

Well Known Member
I have been using a Jantzi Link over the life of my RV-8, which is now approaching 250h. During the first 50h, I noticed that the pin in the TW was not engaging the arm, a phenomenon that made for some interesting landings. After doing a little research, I removed and cleaned the TW and the pin, and chamfered the edges of the pin, aiding in its egress from the cage. Over the next 100h or so, I found that I had to service the TW every 30h in order to ensure reliable operation. Then, I noticed that even after servicing it (and I tried all different lubrication modalities, including nothing) the problem would emerge. I tried different torques on the top-nut of the TW, thinking that the arm needed the slightest amount of vertical play in order to engage the pin, with no reliable result (they do call it experimental aviation for a reason).

Two weeks ago, I very nearly ground looped into the grass at my 50'x2000' airport while landing with a stiff crosswind. I confess that I had been aware that the steering arm was not engaging the pin in one direction very reliably - this was evident during the preflight inspection as a rudder that would turn independantly of the TW in one direction but not the other. I removed the steering arm and noticed that one of the shoulders of the pin slot had been very slightly worn, such that the angle was no longer very sharp. I replaced it with the 'T' type arm that came from Vans (along with the Jantzi spring) and the problem is solved.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Having brought this up at one of those weekend lunches with a bunch of other RV'rs, I suspect that this is a widespread problem. I am thinking about switching links altogether to the Silver Bullet, but I am worried about the sturdiness of that steering arm.

Jon Weiswasser
RV-8 N898JW
Lincoln Park, NJ

I've experimented with numerous tail wheel spring set ups. I was plagued early on with some ground handling challenges. I started with a Jantzi link but discarded it because I didn't feel it provided enough "give" during crosswind landings. It also would cross over on me, which is suspected in a RV accident in TX, but never proven to be the reason.

The original spring set up is too floppy for me and I used to consistently pull the attach rings open. I finally settled on the stainless steel spring set from Van's, installed with just a smidgen of slack and am very happy with these. I haven't tried the Silver Bullet so can't comment on it.

Jon,

I've had the same problem you describe but each time it was the locking key at fault due to a slight burr that develops on the upper edge of the key. The problem occurred both with Van's and Jantzi steering arms. The difficulty always was presaged by poor ground handling during taxi. I learned to fix the problem before flying. The most freighting event occurred just as JJ and I turned off of the runway onto Charlie taxiway at DMW. We did a 270 and shot back on to the active runway. It happened fast and left us wondering what in the **** went on. I have never experienced a cross-wind problem when I had good, tight rudder control prior to take off. When the control is not there before I take off, it for sure is not there on landing, cross wind or not.

I too have had the rod end bearing snap off the Jantzi link when the push rod crosses center. The culprit again was a burr on the key that disallowed the quick release from functioning properly. I now carry extra end bearings along with extra fuel caps because the pin in the cap snaps at the least opportune times. Another strong point in the design? :)

Salty