Hello,
I am getting ready to build an RV-8. My father and I built N329JR RV-6 a number of years ago. We used a wooden wing/Empennage jig. I was young but can remember the wood being somewhat warped visually and it left me thinking that I would rather build in a steel tube jig.
Now I am older and have a machine / fabrication shop and can easily fabricate said jig.
I am wondering if anyone has drawings or designs for a stell jig.

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Ian,

The jig you describe is not required for the new kits with the match hole technology.

There is virtually no way to mess up the wings and fuselage of these kits.

Welcome Ian!

I'm sure someone will provide steel plans for you, but if you didn't try this with the -6 project, I had great success screwing two 2x4's together with deck screws to make 4x4's for my -6 jigs. No warping at all. Of course, now the kits are predrilled <g>. I doubt you can warp it!

Welcome again and best,
Doug

Pre-punched Kit?

If you're building a pre-punched RV8 (known as a "dash one" kit after the -1 in the part numbers) you won't need a jig for the empennage, just a flat workbench.

Wing fixtures are shown in the plans; I made mine from steel. They were modeled after the stands built by Rudi Greyling for his RV7 with adjustable "arms" and worked very well. See:

http://www.rudigreyling.com/rv7.html

No fixture is needed for the fuselage.

Good luck,
Mike