USCANAM

Well Known Member
While laying in re-hab with a new knee, I began thinking about flying and what I wanted to accomplish in the next few months. This being the second and last knee to be replaced, I have a pretty good idea how long it will be before I'm able to slither into my plush Classic Aero seats on the 9A.
Also the replacement of the Blue Mountain Sport with the GRT Horizon and TrueTrak auto pilot seems to have been successful, so we are now confident in flying IFR again.
Living in Cape Cod and based on a field with a tower and ILS, in the past when I used my the Lance, and then the Mooney as a business tool, I would sometimes fulfull the required 6, 6 and 6 in a week. That was when I was flying 300 t0 350 hours a years.
Different story now that I'm back to a recreational flyer.
Doing the math on an hourly cost for the 9A with 180 hp, comes out roughly to $75 per hour operating cost...fuel, oil, engine wear etc.
Began thinking it might make sense to invest in a simulator that is legal for logging IFR time, and we'll do actual or hood to make up the difference.
Never having logged simulator time, I'm putting forth a request for an education in whether this is possible for $5K and under. Might have a few friends in the area who might also like to participate, so that could defrey the cost a bit if necessary to spend more.
Welcome all comments on what is available, and what you might doing now to log some simulator time.
Thanks
Jack
RV9A
160 hours

It Must Be an FAA approved Training Device

Jack:
Not sure what you mean by 6/6/6 (six approaches in six months plus tracking and holding?), but instrument currency can be maintained using a Basic Aviation Training Device or Advanced Aviation Training Device. It must be an approved device (AC 61-136), and you'll need to do it with an Instrument Instructor - otherwise you can't log the time. I think it's a great way to practice as you can quickly reposition yourself for multiple approaches and introduce equipment situations and other "emergencies" that you may not do as realistically in an aircraft. If you decide to keep up currency in your aircraft, make sure it's with a properly rated safety pilot, and your log entry lists location, approaches flown, SP name and date. Finally, don't know of any approved devices for under $5K.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

I actually use Microsoft Flight Sim a lot just to keep my scan going between flights and have noticed that it translates in the steam gauge world pretty well.

YMMV but for me it helps my scan. I obviously miss the other aspects of IFR flight like noise, motion, bumps, and general anxiety with flying in real clouds.

Even missing some of the environmental aspects of IFR flight, the time I spend on the simulator doing basic IFR procedures definitely isn't wasted.