redhawk

Well Known Member
I need to do a static prop balance on my wood prop (Culver prop on my recently acquired RV4 which I loved so much I bought it back a second time! :)
Does anyone have a good idea for a DIY static prop balancer?
Thanks!

Theres a dandy one on EEA.org. I had it bookmarked and I just tried it, but the link is broken.

I made a simple one long ago with a piece of aluminum tube that can be wrapped with tape to get exact fit through center hole. I use 2 machete blades clamped to wood blocks and leveled. Set on machettes, heavy blade will fall. I usually build up light blade with urethane until balance achieved. Has worked for many wood props I have re- finished.

balancer

Here's my setup

Motorcycle wheel balancer purchased on EBay, together with 57 mm skateboard wheels used for bushings. Two tenths of one gram applied to the tip will swing the prop, which equates to about a 1.5 inch square of masking tape. Make sure the shaft of the balancer is level (paper shims). I think the whole rig cost me about $60, excluding the wood stand, which is a throw away from my house remodeling. The bearing brackets are just sitting on the wood uprights, so I can put the parts back in the box when not in use. Works great, repeatable