rdamazio

Well Known Member
I'm wondering what solution others have found to attach static wicks to fully-built ailerons.

I've thought of a few options: there's conductive epoxy (super expensive and would probably look super ugly), I could try to make an opening in the aileron skin to install a doubler with nutplates (could compromise structural integrity?), I could make a smaller opening for a doubler with rivnuts, I could apply rivnuts to the skin directly (never tried, but sounds like a bad idea structurally), and of course I could remove a ton of rivets, add the proper doubler, then rivet it all back up. Any advice on these or other solutions? (this is a -10 btw, but I imagine it'd be a similar problem in any other models)

Thanks!
Rodrigo

P.S.: Yes I do want static wicks :) Besides the radio noise and stormscope benefits, I've seen at least two cases of all LCDs in a plane turning white during IMC flight due to static buildup, and that scenario sounds really scary.

I have them

I put them on my 10. I have 500 hours on them and attached directly without doubler. No cracks. I used rivnuts inverted with JB weld to keep from rotating.

For you to attach I see the biggest issue is that of electrical continuity. Especially if you primed inside before assembly. I have a flex cable from the wing to the aelorons and elevators and rudder.

Gary Specketer

If you are going to add static wicks to the ailerons or elevators, be sure to also add a bonding wire between the aileron (elevator) and the wing structure. You want the electron flow to not pass through the attachment rod end bearings.

I put them on my 10. I have 500 hours on them and attached directly without doubler. No cracks. I used rivnuts inverted with JB weld to keep from rotating.

Thanks for the hint! Can you clarify for a construction newbie what you mean by "inverted with JB weld"? Or did you mean "inserted"? Lots of bonus points if you have any pictures of where you installed them on the ailerons :) was it in the middle of the skin, or along the stiffeners?

For you to attach I see the biggest issue is that of electrical continuity. Especially if you primed inside before assembly. I have a flex cable from the wing to the aelorons and elevators and rudder.

If you are going to add static wicks to the ailerons or elevators, be sure to also add a bonding wire between the aileron (elevator) and the wing structure. You want the electron flow to not pass through the attachment rod end bearings.

Wilco :) on the parts I added wicks to before construction, I did check continuity, and even with primer it was good - I was careful to drill the skin/doubler holes after primer was applied, thus removing the primer from the holes, and then the rivets provided the continuity. I guess if I install it after the fact it'll have the same effect.

The bonding straps will also be there (but those are easier, I can put a rivnut on a thicker part).

I have no knowledge of static wicks being required on an RV.

Why do you think you need them?

Carl

Carl, see the last line on the original post - I have two friends who reported their LCDs went all white while flying in IMC, and that it stopped happening once they added proper static wicks and bonding straps. Other people on this forum reported that it improved noise on the radio, too. You can argue that the bonding straps would be enough, but I'd rather go all the way since I'm doing it - the added drag is small and the risk of not doing it seems big.

Carl, see the last line on the original post - I have two friends who reported their LCDs went all white while flying in IMC, and that it stopped happening once they added proper static wicks and bonding straps. Other people on this forum reported that it improved noise on the radio, too. You can argue that the bonding straps would be enough, but I'd rather go all the way since I'm doing it - the added drag is small and the risk of not doing it seems big.

I don't doubt that your friends experienced these symptoms. But if just putting static wicks on the plane caused the symptoms to stop, I suspect they have other issues that are being masked. I would be of suspect of the wiring, specifically all the grounds and shields. As well as the design of the EFIS.

Insert

I did mean insert. I installed two on each aeloron, rudder and elevater. I am away from my plane for a couple of months so can't take pix

Gary