When I built my -6 in early '90s, I installed static wicks because of the Loran.
The frequency of GPS negates the need.

Haven't Found a Need for Them

Gil:
I've got around 800 hours on my 9A and have flown through a fair amount of rain and encountered light icing on a few occasions. I have an SL40 for COMM, and haven't experienced any static induced issues. Don't see the need, but someone else may have a different opinion.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Static wicks

Some years ago Cessna engineers found that static wicks could help keep an electrical storm from blanking out your comm.
Bill

When I built my -6 in early '90s, I installed static wicks because of the Loran.

Back when I flew my Cherokee 140 equipped with Apollo FlyBuddy Loran, I noticed that the Loran never would hold a solid lock when flying in precipitation or dusty conditions, but worked just fine in clear dry air. I always wondered if something as slow as a Cherokee would actually benefit from static wicks or not. I guess it probably would've helped, but it's a moot point now ;)

I was just wondering... I may pick a couple up at the thrifty booths at oshkosh.
But.. if there is no need then I'd rather put the money into 100LL and save the few oz too.

Gil:
I've got around 800 hours on my 9A and have flown through a fair amount of rain and encountered light icing on a few occasions. I have an SL40 for COMM, and haven't experienced any static induced issues. Don't see the need, but someone else may have a different opinion.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

The real basis of the decision deals with the intended use of your aircraft.

If you intend to fly IMC and therefor need to rely on solid communications not only comm, but ILS/NAV, then you may want to rethink your decision. I had my radios go completely silent while in solid IMC for over 10 minutes. I did not realize it had even happened until I decided to see why the radios had been so silent. It's a good thing I was not on an approach. The wicks were added and it never happened again in the 20 years I owned that plane.

If you intend to only fly VFR, then they are not really necessary. IMHO I would not waste the time or dollars.

If you do add static wicks, you need to also add bonding straps around all the control surfaces to assure good conduction path to the airframe around the hinges and bearings.