LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I'm installing some instruments and putting the nice SafeAir fittings into the instruments, all of which caution "Do not overtighten," but do not provide guidance as what constitutes "overtighten"ing (yeah, I know, when you hear something break).

Is there a value somewhere for these fittings?

Not that critical?

Bob, I guess you are on about the fittings with the white tape on them, that go into the instruments, right? I think when you overthighten those you will break the instrument that you are screwing the fitting into, rather than the fitting. Some instruments are plastic, some may be aluminium.

I screwed the fittings in by hand and than thigtened them just enough with a small spanner, so they feel tight and they wil not loosen by themselves. There is so litle pressure on these lines anyway, that they will not likely leak enough to be noticable on the instrument. Mind you, my Dynon Pitot is not air-tight because it is designed that way!

You could use some Locktite pipethread sealer. That will make sure they are airthight and they will not vibrate loose without having to put to much force on the fitting to begin with, but...... it may be difficult to unscrew them, later on.

As always, just my opinion, no guaranty, use as you please.

Regards, Tonny.