cfiidon

Well Known Member
I decided today was the day to test for static leaks, if any. Covered the ports with tape and plugged in a tube with syringe into my alternate air port. BIG LEAK!

Didn't take long to track it down to a cracked port on my standby analog airspeed gauge. Rats!!! I can only imagine that I over torqued the NPT fitting in there. I'm going to try and seal it and test again after use. Otherwise... we'll see how much UMA wants for a repair. Worst case would be full price.

So... the primary reason for this post is for the next builder... "DON'T DO THAT!".

Don

Another no-no

Big static leak after my last annual. It seems that I had driven an upholstery screw right through a static line. All was well until I took the interior out at the last annual. With the screw now out of the line, it was a major leak. Fortunately, my tech found it and repaired it!

The other thing I learned is that teflon tape is insufficient as a means of sealing the NPT fittings that transition from the Safe-Air Tubing and connectors to the analog airspeed and altimeter. All three of my connections were leaking. No leaks anywhere else.

Don