Static Diischarger

Hi RVers,

does anybody of you have an idea where to get or how to manufacture static discharger for my RV. I saw the models offered in the Spruce catalog but hesitate to order them due to the high price.

Thanks in advance

D-EBRV
RV8
65 hrs.
Stephan Servatius

Romeo Victor said:
Hi RVers,

does anybody of you have an idea where to get or how to manufacture static discharger for my RV. I saw the models offered in the Spruce catalog but hesitate to order them due to the high price.

Thanks in advance

D-EBRV
RV8
65 hrs.
Stephan Servatius
Stephan,
The physics of static charge suggest that a smooth spherical surface is the best at accumulating charge and a sharp point is the best at dissipating it.

The static dischargers are often nothing more than a short cable, multistranded with very fine wire. The insulation is removed from the end and is "teased" apart into a small tuft. This makes a bunch of needle-like points that easily bleed charge from the aircraft.

There may be some recommended standoff distance to prevent the charge from being reacquired by the aircraft but you could just duplicate what you see on other aircraft on the ramp.

-mike

Static Dischargers

Stephan,

Just curious why you are asking? Have you experienced a problem?

I've wondered why I don't see any of these on RV's.

Mark

Last edited:
Static dischargers

Metal aircraft rarely need static dischargers. Every edge on the airframe essentially acts as one. If large surfaces are electrically isolated (by paint, fairings, ...) they should be electrically 'bonded' (connected). I can't imagine an RV needing them...

Fiberglass aircraft on the other hand usually do need them - and the biggest problem is providing a conductive path to the discharger (I used to design composite structures for McDonnell Douglas).

Dennis Glaeser
7A - just got my fuselage kit (need warmer weather here in MI)