bkthomps

Well Known Member
This past weekend I ended up flying into my airport just behind a passing thunderstorm/lightning, as I was descending into the yellow arc, I noticed my Ray Allen Trim indicators (which incidentally, have been INOP and needing replacement) start to light up brightly, as I gained speed they glowed brighter and brighter

I got a few hints of static on the radio, but all the other electronics kept trucking along, and the only other strange indication was my AMMETER showing a -21AMP discharge (volts were positive and fine)

My question is this, is there anything I can do better in terms of wiring or shielding to prevent static buildup to certain components? Has anyone else dealt with static during a flight and has tips to share?

Trim indicators

Have not had any problems, but if you are in need of new RayAllen indicators I have 3 that can be had for a very good price at LZU.

bill at fusion4 net

Bill

AFAIK, the only thing you can do for static build up is to install static discharge wicks. All the composite airplanes seem to use them.

AFAIK, the only thing you can do for static build up is to install static discharge wicks. All the composite airplanes seem to use them.

Yeah, there is some debate over that however. A good bit of the newer composites are forgoing them, I just want to be very informed and educated before I enter my next scenario like this if that makes sense, and since I'm still building my RV-7, I wanted to poll the audience here on VAF