"TAA's (Tecnically Advanced Aircraft) are sexy mistresses, full of lies and mysteries that require proper precautions and understanding for a successful relationship"

The full article can be read on AVweb here
http://www.avweb.com/news/features/Steam-Gauges-Are-Safer-225682-1.html

This is a great write-up on the pitfalls of a glass cockpit.

Very interesting article and the observations of "Technical Surprises" quite appropriate for the Experimental builder where the transition is occurring as each new kit completion is happening. In the years that I've been building the airplane, the technology features have been emerging at a steady pace. My original modest expectations of features is now being exceeded regularly as the latest software releases roll out. Each manufacturer anxious to add another whiz-bang to the plethora of capabilities yet to be widely disseminated and understood by the builders excited about more geography on the panel.

In the face of this situation I settled on a single SkyView 10" PFD, radio, intercom, and iPad/ForeFlight environment. A Knob Control for the AP adds simple knobs to avoid more complex menus for a 'simplified AP' low-time pilot. Even within these constraints the immensity of the screens, layouts, menus, and features is daunting.

As a recently retired IT professional the use of computers is 'old hat' compared to many of my contemporaries outside of IT. Businesses have learned that finding a level of computerization that works for their enterprise often involves settling on a version and configuration that becomes quickly obsolete but stick to it. Otherwise the dog is chasing its own tail in a never-ending environment of advancement for the sake of change.

We are in a time of rapidly changing GA environments and Experimental pilots are among the test pilots of this. Once acquired a pilot should fly what they have and skill will come with the experience. But get out of their plane and into another, forget about it. The standardizations of the past are gone.