Lionclaw

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me why the individual states charge an aircraft registration fee, or why a state aircraft registration system exists?

To add insult, here in Ohio, the registration must be completed annually and is not pro-rated. My plane, now being registered in October, will be due for another fee in January. I called the ODOT and asked if a plane registered in late December would also be due again in January. The answer was "yes".

For a 2-seater the $30 fee will not break the bank, but it at least irritated me enough to write this post.

30 bucks, I'll take it!

Think of it as a tax and not a registration. When they call it a "registration" you can't deduct it off your other taxes.

Here in NC, we have to pay personal property tax on our cars, trucks, boats, planes, etc.

I have two bills for my RV, one for the city and one for the county where it is based. Because I have a kit plane, I was able to set the value and keep the cost "down". $183.99 for the County tax and $37.35 for the city tax.

It is unclear to me the "value" I get for those tax dollars as I was based at a privately owned airport out in the country that was annexed by the city solely for the taxes (none of the surrounding houses were annexed with the airport).

WYOMING

Also has no such thing. Also, no state income tax. The County has tried to tax my toolbox yearly (because I make money with it). I told them that I would pay when they also charged my rancher neighbors for theirs. That shut 'em up.

Don't register it now. Wait until Jan. I know several guys who have never registered their plane - in Ohio.

Virginia

$5 as I recall. It helps fund our department of aviation - one government group here in Virginia that actually supports and promotes aviation. If I understood correctly, our director of aviation even flies an experimental aircraft - even if I misunderstood his comment, he certainly supports us.

re: Oklahoma

10 bucks here.
BTW, Mel, I thought everything was bigger in Texas. LOL

Marshall Alexander

Last edited:
Check with the California and Kansas Guys. When I left CA. it was 600.00 for an RV.:)))) Larry

Go Texas

Most of us collectivly (as voters)have the govt. we deserve, not allways the govt. we individually (aviation types) want. Important to let our voice as members of the aviation community be heard. Writing your representative is not as fun as our hobby but is important. Russ

Terrible thing to say

I agree its terrible, I just came back from voting on the 4th in a local election with an 11% turnout. didnt see anyone I knew at the polls....

Does Washington State have an Aircraft Registration Program?

Yes. Aircraft registration fees go directly to support WSDOT Aviation?s airport preservation...

For a "Home Built" the total fee is $35 per year. For certified single engine airplanes the fee is $65 per year. The fees are prorated by month.

Most of us collectivly (as voters)have the govt. we deserve, not allways the govt. we individually (aviation types) want. Important to let our voice as members of the aviation community be heard. Writing your representative is not as fun as our hobby but is important. Russ

Writing your representatives is important, and may have to be done more than just a few times. Every couple of years a new group of lawmakers needs to hear from us. I know here in Washington State, in the same year, they tried to tack on an aircraft excise/property tax in at least two seperate bills. If it doesn't pass in one, they just throw it in another and see if it will pass.

Illinois

$10. per year...However, I do think we are getting something for our money, as it costs a lot to keep all of our Governors and Ex-Governors incarcerated...:D

Last edited:
Check with the California and Kansas Guys. When I left CA. it was 600.00 for an RV.:)))) Larry

California has no aircraft registration fee.

California has a yearly aircraft property tax that comes in the mail from the same folks who mail out the yearly (house) property tax. The envelopes look the same, and I don't know which is which until I open it, Rosie

Parts of Virginia a less GA friendly

So, Virginia has an aircraft sales and use tax (2%) of sale price or estimated value after 60 days in state. Then there is registration. Then some counties (like mine) have a personal property tax at about 5% annually!

Hey Rosie, 25 dollar reg fee here in AZ or 600 dollar property tax in good ole CA, whats the difference? It's still a tax! :))))

Ohio has an A/C registration instead of a property tax.
As I understand it, we don't want to get rid of it as
so far it has kept us from paying property taxes on A/C.

Ohio has gone from $6/seat/year to a flat $100/year
and lately changed back to $15/seat/year.

Another midwest state, (I think it was Wisconsin),
was working on eliminating A/C registrations a few
years ago. If I remember correctly, they wouldn't
have liked it if it had gone through.

Sorry, I don't remember any more details.
Tom