Rhino889

Well Known Member
Well I finished the wings minus the fiberglass work.

The questions are...

I have a 2005 QB fuselage, were do I start in the plans?

What should I be ordering?

I'm planning james cowl, todds canopy, CAD seat, fuel injected 360, catto 3 blade.

I've talked to CAD and lead time is Aug, any others I need to worry about to keep things moving?

Thanks,

Scott

I was reading ahead in my slow build plans and it's states "begin construction here for quickbuild kits" it's on the installing main gear legs page.

Ben,

I must have missed that or couldn't see the tree sitting in the middle of the forest. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the starting point.

Scott

Hi Scott

When we started on our QB -6A, an old sage gave us some very good, simple advice..."Build the fuselage from the inside outwards."...e.g....the rudder pedal assembly goes in before the front top skin....the shoulder harness attach points, taillight wiring, static lines and rudder cables go in before the top rear skin...and so on.

Best,

Start at the tail and work fwd along the cone to the floor, along the floor to the base of the firewall then up the firewall.

Fit all skins, but don't rivet them till there is nothing left to do.

QB Start

Scott, perhaps this is a little late for you but the archive may help others.

If your fuselage is recent enough (not sure about your 2005 model), page 8-42 dated 12/2/08 is the start of the quick build.

The remainder of the instructions attempt to delineate quick build from standard although occasionally the process breaks down. It's something of a pleasant surprise when the instructions go into detail on some work that has already been done in the P.I. In my particular fuselage, the rudder stops were an example of this but I think this can vary. Of course, the inverse is also true <g>.

I'm curious: what's a "CAD seat"? Thanks.

FuselageQBStart.jpg

I've built both a standard kit and a QB kit (7A) . my opinion is....
Read the plans from the begining, check off the item IF it is complete,
As if you were doing it yourself.
At some point in the plans you will catch up to where the QB is built.

It doesn't take too much time and you wont end up with questions about the forward wing attach brackets:)

Just my opinion

I totally agree with Sean (N269SD).

Read the entire section from standard kit, you need to understand the whole airplane.

My 2 cent (QB 8 builder)

+1 on going through the manual and checking off what's already done. The overall "situational awareness" gained will pay many dividends further along.

I've built both a standard kit and a QB kit (7A) . my opinion is....
Read the plans from the begining, check off the item IF it is complete,
As if you were doing it yourself.
At some point in the plans you will catch up to where the QB is built.

It doesn't take too much time and you wont end up with questions about the forward wing attach brackets:)

Just my opinion

I like that and will follow your advise.

Is there anything that I need to order so that I don't get to a point and have to wait for items/parts? Is the finish kit the "gluts" of the aircraft?

Thanks everyone,
Scott