andrew phillips

Well Known Member
With the setup of 1 mag and 1 lightspeed do you still use the standard L/R/Both starter switch? As I understand it when the switch is turned to the crank position only the mag would be online. When released both systems would then be online. A standard L/R test can then be performed. What about dangers of misfiring if the switch is released too early and the lightspeed comes online before the engine is running?

Have a seperate power switch for the Lightspeed that you power on after the engine is running. This would be independant of the 'sense' lead that hooks to the mag switch.

Whether you've got 2 mags or 1 mag + EI or 2 EI, I recommend just using toggle switches for the ignitions. Most control (we're all control freaks, right?), most flexibility, easiest to "upgrade" ignitions later, etc.

I have the same setup, 1 Mag and the light speed. Used toggle switches. Just simple on-off type. If you wire per Bob Knuckels he has you using a 2-10 switch I believe, to interconnect the starter button so you can't engage the starter when the engine is running. A little on the complicated side to me. Kind of hard to miss the the big fan spinning in front of ya.......

As far as starting I was told by Bart at Aerosport to have them both on to start. Better starting with the LS. Let you know when I get there.

Toggles for me

I went with the toggle switches. S700-2-10 for the LMag/EI. Simple, elegant, low cost, fault tolerant. My elec. diagram is finished (Z-11 derivative) and all the parts are here from B&C, wiring up now, happy with my decision.

Chris..
RV-7, IO-360,Garmin Stack,496 GPS,LightSpeed IGN,Dynon D-180
http://www.n212s.com

Andrew,

Yes, you still use the standard L/R Both setup for a Mag and Lightspeed. A small jumper comes with the key switch to disable the Lightspeed upon startup if you chose
to do so, however based upon the snippet from Klaus's website I've attached below, it doesn't sound like the jumper is needed ( I did remove mine and haven't had a problem ( some might say yet!!) ). The purported advantage to starting with the Plasma II+ is a hotter spark and quicker starts. In retrospect, I'd opt for one of the other solutions posted above and save the cost of the key switch for something else. If you use toggles or a push-button to start you'll never strap in and then remember the key
is in your pocket!

From http://www.lightspeedengineering.com/Products/FAQs.htm#3
5.) What are the power requirements for the Plasma CD systems?

The current versions of Plasma CDI systems need a minimum of 6.2 volts to start operation. This is more than 2 volts less than the minimum voltage needed by the starter solenoid, thereby eliminating the possibility of kick-backs during starter operation.

Plasma systems shipped before December 20 of 2004, need 8.5 volts to start operation. This higher "on" voltage can cause a misfire if the starter current drain is high and/or the battery is weak and the voltage collapses below this threshold during cranking. Systems shipped before 2005, can be upgraded to have the lower voltage capability.

Once the engine is running, all systems operate down to less than 5 volts, should you lose your charging system.

Regards,
Rob