olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Recently installed a new starter solenoid when I had to replace a fried starter. Still don't know if the problem was the starter or the solenoid but replaced the solenoid as a precaution. Ran across some info (after I installed the solenoid-with a diode) that stated the solenoid must be oriented in a vertical position. Mine is laying down flat on a mount.

Do I need to fabricate a better mount so the solenoid is oriented vertically?
Thanks,
Oly

Last edited:
Use a Ford Solenoid..

Use one of these. Late Model Ford and Ford truck.You may have to use an external diode.

Ford.jpg

Standard Blue Streak #SS-598, accept no substitute

Use one of these. Late Model Ford and Ford truck.You may have to use an external diode.

Ford.jpg

I'll second Comfort Cat's suggestion. FYI, demand Standard Brands [don't accept any "off brand" Chinese junk]. Their "heavy duty" version comes with a diode built in, so you don't need to add an external diode.
See link below for the proper part number and info.

http://www.standardbrand.com/Online Catalogs-eCatalog/Content.aspx

Click on the Part Specification tab and you will see that it comes with a 3 year warranty. Just don't tell them it's for an airplane.

Charlie
PS Blue Streak is Standard's premium line of parts.

Last edited:
Recently installed a new starter solenoid when I had to replace a fried starter. Still don't know if the problem was the starter or the solenoid but replaced the solenoid as a precaution. Ran across some info (after I installed the solenoid-with a diode) that stated the solenoid must be oriented in a vertical position. Mine is laying down flat on a mount.

Do I need to fabricate a better mount so the solenoid is oriented vertically?
Thanks,
Oly

The short answer to your question is no. Bob Nuchols has an article written somewhere on the subject and his conclusion was that it didn't matter.