airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I'm getting underway with my wiring, and this past week I was able to hit my master solenoid "for real" with actual wiring in place instead of just jumpers to test. I have my starter solenoid mounted with power coming from the master to the starter solenoid, and the diode is mounted from the hot power side to the "S" stud with the red band on the "S" stud - and no other connections are in place yet. Nothing on the output side of the starter solenoid and nothing on the "I" terminal, and nothing else on the "S" terminal other than the diode.

When I hit my master, the starter solenoid energizes. I removed the diode from the "S" terminal and this stops, now I've got the question in my head of whether or not the diode is cooked, or whether I've got it reversed. Doesn't the red band on the diode go to the "S" stud? I cannot find the drawing sent with the solenoid from Vans to consult that, but that is the best memory I have of it.

Your problem is the placement of the diode. The diode goes from the S-Terminal to a ring terminal that grounds/mounts the solenoid. If you have it going to hot, you are energizing the starter.

Capture-14_zpsad2b1db9.png

Ditto

Yes, Mark is correct. Another reason to use their products, excellent documentation.

Ditto. I've just realized that many of the questions I had lingering were answered beautifully in the VP manual. I was reading it to prepare for the arrival of my VP-X pro unit...but realized, it covers so much more.

Thanks Marc,
David