rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I just re-mounted my engine and started to install my Catto propeller. For some reason, I took off my starter ring. As I set it down, I realized I didnt pay attention to what hole lined up where. My question is, does it matter?

I can post a picture for some help if I need to be concerned.

Thanks for the help.

yes it does, the timing marks are on the back side of the ring gear. most lycomings have indexed lugs so that it can only fit one way. if number one is on tdc of the compression stroke the tdc mark on the ring gear should line up with the case line on the top.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Thanks Bob and Larry. One of the lugs has a step in it and that looks to be the "0" lug. I will make sure I line it up properly when I put it back on.

yes it does, the timing marks are on the back side of the ring gear. most lycomings have indexed lugs so that it can only fit one way. if number one is on tdc of the compression stroke the tdc mark on the ring gear should line up with the case line on the top.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

The bigger index hole is only about 0.030 larger than the other five holes - 0.7818 vs 0.7505 for my O-360 - so it's hard to spot... :)