RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Not on my aircraft, but another one (a club plane)...starter engaged and, per reports, held for perhaps too long or too many times in succession, and apparently the starter relay welded shut.

Anyone ever hear of this happening or had it happen to them?

As a second issue, report was that the pilot shut off the master and it had no effect (starter continued to run). Needless to say, this was *bad*.

This was a C152, which by reference to the schematics, should not have had this behavior (continuing to run starter after master is off)...so I suspect something else going on.

Trying to help my former club ensure they've identified the actual root cause (did the pilot *think* he shut off the master, but didn't? was there some other electrical malfunction? etc.).

Any info appreciated...

Maybe the starter solenoid failed to retract causing the drive gear to remain engaged with the ring gear on the flywheel, now with a running engine driving the starter. That would be very noisy and would sound like the starter is still "engaged"...cause it is.

Bevan

Yes, I've seen that happen. I'd check the key switch and both relays. Step one, disconnect the starter wire.

I've seen this in boats and motorcycles and older cars. Its usually due to a combination of a weak battery and poor connections in the starter circuit.

Check the health of the battery and inspect each connection in the starter circuit for loose or corroded hardware. Also look for a faulty battery contactor.

Yep. Had it happen in a C-182. Confusing at first but killing the master stopped it.

Yes, a starter engaged light is a great idea. Mandatory in my opinion. When the engine catches and the starter is still engaged there will be a whole lot of "what the?" going on before you figure things out. I have a light in my RV-9, I just haven't tried it yet. Still building.

I have a starter engaged light too, but all it shows is that the starter still has power. If the starter has failed to disengage but is not powered you are out of luck.