Scott DellAngelo

Well Known Member
I just pulled the plugs out and ran the starter to try and see if I could get some oil pressure prior to my hopeful first engine start on Saturday (need to put in the e-mag/p-mag still first). Engine spun fine. After several 5 or so second spins I started getting ~10 psi reading on the oil pressure. Anyways I then noticed that the starter gear is not disengaging. Is this something that I need to suck it up and buy a new one? (using a used starter from my engine core) Is there anything I can do to try and free it up and still possibly be able to use it at least for a while? Will I ruin anything other than perhaps the starter if I were to still start the engine with it this weekend and not run the engine long?

Thanks,
Scott
#90598 - Inspection Scheduled, trying to finish final details
N598SD reserved

Mine does the same thing, but disengages itself when the engine starts. I too, would be interested to know more about this characteristic and how to cure it. I replaced the starter drive unit soon after I aquired the airplane because it wouldn't turn the engine when the starter was energized. That cured that problem, but the problem of it not disengaging when the engine does not start remains.

Bob Severns

I think that's a "feature"

Do you have an older starter with a Bendix?

It's been so many years since I switched to Sky-Tech starters that I might be remembering this wrong, but I think that the bendix gear mechinism, once engaged, won't disengage until the engine turns faster than the starter. It was a real pain if you ran the battery down and then wanted to try hand propping. (I'm an old Cub driver - hand propping was the first thing I learned as a teenager...)

Paul

Paul is correct. The old "bendix" style starter will not disengage until the engine starts. It's just the way it's designed.
Mel...DAR

Thanks Paul for the quick answer. I've successfully hand propped my RV-6 once when I figured the battery was too low to start it. I also knew I wouldn't get it done if I egaged the starter and the engine didn't start.
A good replacement starter is now on my want list.

Bob Severns

I once new a guy with a Commanche that would engage the starter to make sure the bendix was out after each flight, This way in real cold weather it would already be in the teeth of the starter ring. I just try to make sure that I lube mine with silicon spray when I have the cowling off. I have always wondered if the skytac and such starters turn the motor over faster than the impulse coupling can work. I have no problems getting mine to start with a couple of turns of the prop hot or cold. But I have seen skytac spinning up as if it was a Turbine.

starter problem

As I remember when the starter drive stayed engaged I would grab the end
of the prop and jerk it back and forth rapidly to get the gear disengaged.
Ted

N24YW said:
I have always wondered if the skytac and such starters turn the motor over faster than the impulse coupling can work. I have no problems getting mine to start with a couple of turns of the prop hot or cold. But I have seen skytac spinning up as if it was a Turbine.

The skytec lightweight starter has no issue of turning too fast or anything like that. I've read some stuff on my engine that suggested that a faster starter might cause hard starts due to the magneto timing, but its not an issue at all. From my experience the skytec is a great bolt-on upgrade. My engine starts instantly.