Jamie Aust

Well Known Member
I have the above starter. It is about 13" long for my 0-360 engine.
Does anyone know if it will fit ok for my 7A cowl. As I have not put the engine onto the mount as yet, I cant do a test fit of it. :(

Yes it will fit

I have the above starter. It is about 13" long for my 0-360 engine.
Does anyone know if it will fit ok for my 7A cowl. As I have not put the engine onto the mount as yet, I cant do a test fit of it. :(

Jamie,
That's what I'm running. It turns a little slower than the newer starters.
There's room for my thumb between the nose of the starter and the cowling.

Sounds like a Mooney cranking up, but's that's OK;)

Mark

Thanks mark,

How much room do you have behind it ? what does it come close to, being 13" long.
This one is from a mooney its was a io-360 b1e, now its a 0-360 A1A, do you see any probs with this setup ?
I will be running a catto 3 blade, and it will be on an 7A nose wheel mount.

Hi Jamie

FWIW, my buddy runs one in his -4 for CG reasons since he also has a Catto two-blade.

I have a Skytech starter on my -6A and a three-blade Catto with no CG issues.
Use it and do a weight and balance and it should dictate whether or not you need the weight up there.

Regards,

Thanks mark,

How much room do you have behind it ? what does it come close to, being 13" long.
This one is from a mooney its was a io-360 b1e, now its a 0-360 A1A, do you see any probs with this setup ?
I will be running a catto 3 blade, and it will be on an 7A nose wheel mount.

Jamie,
I found a photo. It's not a real good photo. You can't really tell how much room there is between the starter and the oil sump. But it's enough. And there is plenty of room between the starter and the carb heat muff also.

I've got the 40lb Sensenich prop on my 7A and the weight and balance was good with this starter. If I remember correctly this starter weighs 14lbs! My engine was off of a Mooney also. An M20G. It's an O-360-A1D.

march302008007.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you both for the feed back. I hope the weight will help up front as the Catto is about 10 lbs lighter than the sensenich. :)