akarmy

Well Known Member
Wondering if there's any collected experience on where to look for a starter problem?

I have the B&C 12V starter on my 0-320, so far so good. After 5 years and 600 trouble free hours, I now periodically fails to spin the starter.

The starter solenoid clicks in place and I get voltage past it to the starter, but no response from the starter. All cables are tight and in place. No amount of button pushing gets it to go. This last time I de-cowled and spun the starter gear forward and turned it over a touch with the prop, at which point it engages properly and starts fine.

It's an infrequent (once a month initially) but increasing problem. Where should I look in spite of things looking good already?

Starter lubrication (of the plunger / gear)
Wiring connections?
Grounds?
Starter Contactor?

Thanks much for any help,

Give B&C a call. I did just a few weeks ago regarding my starter (different problem) and they were very willing to help, and they did!

BTW, if I had to guess based upon the information provided, I would guess it's your battery. You can lose a cell and it will still generate enough power for eveything else, but not have enough "umph" to push the starter.

Last edited:
Another possible cause is a bad armature element or contact. As the motor spins, carbon "brushes" contact a series of contact plates around the end of the motor which convey current to the fields. Each 180 degrees of spin the same two plates receive power, but with reversed polarity, so that the fields alternately push/pull against the correct permanent magnets.

If one field shorts, or if the plate simply gets disconnected from the coil, you will have a "dead spot" on the motor. Rotating the motor again, it will work fine and you will think it is not broken - until the next time it lands on the "dead spot."

I don't know about the B&C starters, but some of these experimental starters use motors from popular car starters. You can save some money over replacement by going to a local starter / alternator repair shop and having them put a new motor on your starter.

Interesting to me that not touching the battery, ground strap, etc, just dropping the cowl and moving the starter pinion gear seemed to get it working... and to Randy's point, it's a new battery and spins the engine fast when it works...

I should get a call back from B&C tomorrow to see if they have some ideas also.

Interesting to me that not touching the battery, ground strap, etc, just dropping the cowl and moving the starter pinion gear seemed to get it working...

Bad armature or commutator or brushes from the above symptom.

don't send it back to B&C

...unless you want to pay 10X what the replacement parts cost. I've rebuilt a B&C starter and they're pretty easy to work on. The motor is a Hitachi starter motor. A brush assembly is pretty cheap, less than $10; same thing was over $100 from B&C. If you have access to a lathe you can clean up the armature easily with a piece of emery cloth.

So, did you find the problem?

Time for a quick update.

I was delayed a week due to working the Arlington Airshow last week. You might have seen me on my orange Rans bike with the orange vest on.

I talked with Bill at B&C. He said it's almost 100% certain to be one of 2 issues.

• First is to check the small jumper wire that goes from the high current lug to the linear actuator. If these connections get corrosion or were not crimped properly that will cause it to not engage. In my case the wire appeared fine on inspection. The nut was a touch loose holding on the starter wire, hum, that might be it.

• Second item is to re-grease the piston on the linear actuator as sometimes it gets corroded (hum, I do live in Seattle) he gave me an internal parts diagram that shows how it all goes together and walked me through how to open it up and work on it. You use just a touch of Aeroshell #7 on it after cleaning out the old gunk.

That's next on my list to do and I'll report back after that.