texdog

Well Known Member
Sky-tec, RV6 model 149-12LS. It blows the 10 amp fuse about every 3 start. I have replaced the starter twice and the fuse 5 times. How do I fix this problem so the airplane is reliable?

Thanks,

The fuse is only for the relay, so if the fuse is blowing, replace the relay, nothing wrong with the starter.

No offense, but if you didn't know that, you might wanna have a good mechanic look at it. If a mechanic had replaced all these starters, get a new mechanic and never look back.

Starter

Failure occurred on a trip, mechanics did it all, I ordered the starter from Spruce and they put it on. 5 starts and fuse blows and the starter solonoid fails. Sky-Tec repaired my first starter and it works for 4 starts before it blows a fuse. Except for replacing fuses mechanics have tested and done all the work. Could it be a diode or relay?

Sky-tec, RV6 model 149-12LS. It blows the 10 amp fuse about every 3 start. I have replaced the starter twice and the fuse 5 times. How do I fix this problem so the airplane is reliable?

Thanks,

Fred... You probably have some cable/wiring problems, just bring it to me and I'll get you fixed up :D

Some thoughts

The fact that Skytec repaired your starter is an indication that it did fail and the fact that it did work 4 times is an indication that they fixed the source of the problem. I replaced my light weight starter once or twice over an eight year period and many times it just barely got the engine started or, especially in the cold, it was unable to get the engine started.

This past December I worked with Red Hamilton putting in high compression pistons inplace of the original 8.5:1 stock pistons in my O-360 A1A. As part of the rebuild Red said we need to replace the starter because that one is just not going to be strong enough to do the job reliably. So, we installed a different model Skytec starter which is all inline. The new model number is 149-NL. What a difference! It is heavier but if you were able to clamp the prop down, I think it would flip the airplane over. There is never a question about starting anymore.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Starters are not fused

As was said above, there is no fuse on the starter, it's on the relay. So replacing the starter is not going fix it. You have either an unintentional ground in the circuit that controls the relay or a bad relay.
Tim

Could it also be posible that the flyback diode is backwards so the starter is trying to also draw current through the contactor field when engaged?

B&C

If all else fails consider purchasing a B&C starter. I had problems with both Lycoming and Skytec (very early version) starters. 20 yrs later the B&C was still going strong.

Last edited: