jsharkey

Well Known Member
I have recently been experiencing a momentary delay between turning the key and the starter turning the engine. It doesn't struggle but it seems as if something is sticking. When it it does turn the battery seems strong and the engine usually fires on half a prop turn.

The engine is a YO360-A1A with a Skytech starter.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

I just bought a new starter solenoid for this very problem. I will replace it the at the next oil change. I might see if I cannot take the old one apart to do a post mortem on it.

I just bought a new starter solenoid for this very problem. I will replace it the at the next oil change. I might see if I cannot take the old one apart to do a post mortem on it.

Thanks - I might do that myself.
Jim

Do you have an. ACS ignition switch and if so, does it have the AD done? I bought the rebuild kit from Spruce and found the contacts were in very bad condition causing intermittent contact in the start position. After the rebuild kit which took 20 mintues to do, it is fine.

TJ

Do you have an. ACS ignition switch and if so, does it have the AD done? I bought the rebuild kit from Spruce and found the contacts were in very bad condition causing intermittent contact in the start position. After the rebuild kit which took 20 mintues to do, it is fine.

TJ

No - but I'll check
Thanks
Jim

Starter

According to Skytec, the solonoid on their starter is completely different from the standard look-alike available at starter repair establishments or other supply stores. Might want to give them a call before you buy one locally.

I beleve them as I went thru two aftermarket soloniods before I returned my starter to Skytec for rebuild. ($175.00):(

Resolution?

What ever came if this? For many months I had an occasional delay between pushing the start button and anything happening. The other evening after refueling after a long flight I got nothing but the sound of the solenoid closing when I pushed the button. The attendant drop in bus voltage indicates some power is getting to the starter, but I'm thinking the solenoid's contacts are fried. Any thoughts? Battery is fresh.

Guy

What ever came if this? For many months I had an occasional delay between pushing the start button and anything happening. The other evening after refueling after a long flight I got nothing but the sound of the solenoid closing when I pushed the button. The attendant drop in bus voltage indicates some power is getting to the starter, but I'm thinking the solenoid's contacts are fried. Any thoughts? Battery is fresh.

Guy

I had this problem with my Skytec starter, and it gradually got worse. At 700 hrs sent it to Sktec for rebuild. They said it was pretty much trashed internally, and sent me what amounted to a new starter for the overhaul price. their customer service was excellent (although I would have preferred not to need it!).

Skytec also has a troubleshooting guide online that is helpful.

My newly overhauled Skytec did the same thing starting at 2 hours after getting it back from Skytec. They found a "notch" (defect, their word) in the solenoid and replaced it. Fine ever since.

Mine also did the hesitation thing for a few starts and then nothing but a slight sound and some current draw from the starter. Of course, I was at the bottom of Death Valley when the thing acted up. Pulled the starter pinion gear into the ring gear using a cowl hinge pin and luckily that was enough to get the engine started.

New Solenoid

I have experience this problem for a couple months. It was only on the first start of the day until today... All it would do is engage the starter but not turn the engine. I pulled the starter and bench checked it with a boat battery and it worked. So I worked my way all the back to the battery then back to the starter. I finally determined that it was the solenoid on the starter (SkyTec). I found one at O'Riley's for $50 that was a direct replacement except for the small threaded post (the one that gets jumped to the main power wire). It has a blade connection. Also the new one is BWD brand part number S5060 for a Ford starter. Hope this helps if you need one in a pinch.