jsharkey

Well Known Member
I have the standard Van's supplied starter solenoid with S and I connections. The I connection appears to be redundant per Van's wiring drawing OP-10. I also have the standard Van's mag/starter switch with an anti-surge diode supplied. From the switch instructions the diode should be installed between the start connection on the starter solenoid and ground. It shows two options, a single connection (same as master solenoid) and double connection solenoid, however the double connection one doesn't look like the Van's starter solenoid, but it does show the diode bridging the two connections and not going directly to ground.

Cutting to the chase - how do you connect the diode on the standard Van's supplied starter solenoid with S and I connections?

Jim Sharkey RV6 - Wiring

The chase

Banded end to the 'S' terminal (+). Other end to ground. This puts the diode across the coil.

The 'I' lead is a holdover from using this part on a 1958 Chevy etc.. (It shunts out the ballast resistor on the ign coil to compensate for low cranking volts.)

Banded end to the 'S' terminal (+). Other end to ground. This puts the diode across the coil.

The 'I' lead is a holdover from using this part on a 1958 Chevy etc.. (It shunts out the ballast resistor on the ign coil to compensate for low cranking volts.)

58 Chevy - sh*t - I was born in 1959 - pre Beatles!
We need newer technology.

Thanks for the input

Here's how I understood the instructions, Jim.

(I didn't realize the diode came with the key switch so I accidently ordered both diodes from Van's. Will have to send one diode back.)

Does not hurt

Does not hurt to have both diodes. You want the diode on the starter contactor because that is where the field collapses and "flys back", another name for the diode the fly back diode. The ignition can have its own that is fine. They added them because ignitions switches where burning up. As you know as the field collapses and the contacts of the switch try to separate it arcs and pits the the switch. Yes its redundant but use both, very little extra wiring, weight or cost.

Last edited: