jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
The current issue of Kitplanes has an article about engine starting problems and one point caught my eye. When connecting the big wires on either the master or starter relays you are supposed to prevent the thin nut from turning while tightening the outer attach nuts. If the inner nut turns in the process it could cause the inner contact lugs to turn thus preventing solid electrical contact. In fact Paul Dye, editor extraordinaire, admitted to having this happen which caused a hard engine starting problem.

Well, I have to admit that I didn't take the time to make a thin wrench to hold the inner nut before tightening the outer nut, but I did watch closely and couldn't see any movement there. I am sure I'm not the first one to do this. So my question begs.....is there a way to determine after the fact that I did not turn the inner contact surfaces of the relay? I am not looking for the quick "does it work" answer. (Yes it does work but how do you know it is right?). Playing devils advocate here.

Thanks for any advice!

Jim
RV9A Phase 1
Michigan

I had a wrench on the thin nut on mine when hooking up the master relay, and still had it turn just a bit - that stud turns quite easily. I don't know of any way to get to index it back to the proper position.

Starter Relay Problem This Wk

I have experienced the same problem. The battery just could not get the blade past the compression stroke. Bought a new battery and still did not work. Replaced relay, starts right up. This has been an ongoing problem for a while and now have 575 hrs. FYI,This all happened this week and I needed the relay right away for the flight to the NC formation clinic. I had to leave on Wednesday for a business stop in Louisville so was still working on the problem on Tuesday. After changing the battery with no luck I pulled the starter relay and found at the local auto parts store a Chinese copy of the US made one that Vans sells. It worked OK but the terminals were a little shorter. The way I had the brass bars connecting between the master relay, the starter relay and 60 Amp ANL fuse I could get the nut on but with no threads showing. I plan to order one from Vans to replace.

In answering my question "how do you know if the starter relay contacts are cocked?" First disconnect the power wire at the starter, then with someone turning the starter switch to start check the incoming and outgoing voltage at the relay, also the resistance across the contacts. If the relay lugs are making good electrical contact the voltages should be about the same (12.5 volts or so) and the resistance very low-less than 0.2 ohms.

Jim
RV9a