MikeyDale

Well Known Member
I am about to start my firewall forward on my 7. I have purchased a "Pre-Owned" IO-360 B1E w/75hrs SMOH. I will install Superior Cold air sump and go horizontal induction. The prop gov, mags, ect. was rebuilt during the OH but the old Prestolite starter (Model M7 420 6) was not rebuilt according to the log book. The engine has 1500 hrs TT.

The prestolite starter is likely alright but I can prob save some weight with a new starter and maybe save some "reconfiguration" problems later. I'm planning to install Hartzell CS prop so I can afford to loose some weight up front.

My question is this, should I buy a new starter before I begin this installation? If so, which one? Engine has 8.5:1 pistons.

Your likely reconfiguration problems will be limited to replacing the starter wire, which is a <$20 event if you make the cable yourself.

So it is a simple equation. Postpone a $400 expense for now and suffer a couple of hours of downtime sometime in the future, or spend $400 now and avoid the future downtime.