kneeskrap3r

I'm New Here
I'm 24 and relatively new to Van's Air Force. To begin I'd like to thank any and all of you who have either spurred the passion for building my own plane or helped educate me about the building process!

It seems like a general rule to start with an empennage kit, especially for people like me with little metalworking experience. I'm curious if anyone else just wanted to sit in a partially finished cabin and dream of building the rest of the plane around it, when finances permit :) Can it be done? Has it been done? Anyone with an unfinished -7 fuse they would part with?

Thanks,
Phillip

Welcome to VAF!

Phillip, welcome to VAF:D

Couple good reasons to start with the tail kit---------that is how Vans has set up the building process, instructions are much more detailed. Kit is lower in cost. Builder number follows tail kit.

Find a local builder or flyer when you need a "sit in it fix", but starting out with the tail is a pretty good way to go, IMHO

Last edited:
You really can do it in almost any order with today's kits. Its just that normally the parts you have to replace are cheaper in the emp kit than some of the others. You will replace parts.

The emp kit also a good place to learn how the plans, build manual, parts and you all fit together without getting into a lot of complexity. I don't know of anyone who hasn't been thrilled at putting together an emp part that looks like an airplane part. It's where the 'RV Grin' starts for many of us. I've still never had a ride in an RV! :eek:

There are a lot of different things to learn in the fuse from say the emp kit. You'll be learning metal work of course, but there's also wiring, fuel lines, instrument panel (which you probably want to wait until the last to order) and all sorts of other things.

Starting off with learning the metal work can be a challenge if you don't have any experience, so the emp kit keeps it simple. There is a little wiring if you go with electric trim and/or lights. There's a little fiberglass (the tips) and its easy to store.

Speaking of storing, a lot of folks may have limited space for building. The fuse takes up a lot of room while you'd be building the other pieces. It can be frustrating to build around that large fuse while you're trying to build the wings, etc. So starting with the emp (the smallest physical sized kit to store), then going to the wings (which are large but easily stored in a wing stand) and then the fuse makes sense for most. From a build/storage standpoint the normal order is the easiest for most builders and their build space.

There's always a lot of variables, and as always, you can do it anyway you want (almost).

Welcome - this is a thrilling ride (in the end - I hope :D)

Bob

In some ways, yes, it's the most important part!!!

Phillip,
I don't think you can go wrong by wanting to spend a LOT of time sitting, and/or flying before you build. Maybe partner in an old -6 or -4 to get your feet wet on a limited budget.
after some butt time, you'll probably say things like.....
" gee, if only I could see over the nose"
( translation, build an 'a' model)
" man, if only I could land on that sand bar down there"
( translation, think about a supercub instead)
" boy, I wish there was more elbow room in here......"
( ..... build a 10 or 14a!)

I think you get the idea; not that you won't be happy with most RV's, you are comitting a LOT of time, sweat, tears, money etc....why not increase your chances of getting it right the first time.!?!?

tail first

Couple good reasons to start with the tail kit---------that is how Vans has set up the building process, instructions are much more detailed. Kit is lower in cost. Builder number follows tail kit.

Welcome Phillip
+1
The instructions get far less detailed and since the fuse is intended to come after the tail and wings, they will be difficult for an inexperienced builder to follow.
There may also be an issue with the wing spars and center section as they come as a group.

Don't deprive yourself of the fun on riveting a rudder trailing edge or rolling and riveting the leading edges! :D

Nuts!

Start on the empennage
Buy a RV8 Empennage, kit.
If you do not fly regularly now? Start flying something. Figure out your flying interest. Then you will know what to build,,,or buy.

Last edited: