tullow

Hello to all,
I'm sure this question has already come up before but I haven't found anything with the "search " function. Has anybody installed their standby compass ( liquid filled type) on the glareshield on a tip-up and has this caused any problems from a maintenance/reliability point of view seeing as how the compass is at an angle of about 60deg. with the canopy open. I could ,of course, mount it in the panel but the only available space is on the right-hand side above the map box with parallax problems if I ever needed to use it. Any advice and opinions would be appreciated
Mike ( RV7 in final assembly stages)

Mike,
I just bought a S.I.R.S. Navigator and I plan to mount it exactly as you decribe unless someone talks me out of it.

Mike,

I see you are in Paris so your rules may be different than ours.

When I built my -9, I bought but never installed a compass. My panel as a Dynon D100 EFIS in it so that works as my compass. The Garmin 496 is the back up for the Dynon so I felt I didn't need a third direction pointer.

In the US, our regs state we only need "magnetic direction indicator" and like the AirBus', the Dynon covers that requirement.

To help with your answer, I didn't see any problem with the compass on the tip-up glair shield when I was test fitting it.

Thanks for you advice ,regulations here require a standby compass even if you have a remote magnetic sensor(which I don't have) so I'll go ahead and install it on the center of the glareshield. By the way Bill I flew Airbuses for the final 8 yrs. before my retirement in 2006 and yes we had a standard liquid standby compass on the glareshield despite having triple heading/attitude systems. Never had to use it, but we checked its indications before every departure .

Thanks again

Mike

RV7- almost there!