Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I've looked around, but must be missing it...if someone can point me to either a thread or a document which spells this out, that'd be cool. Or if none, some info on what to do here...

I have brand-new, sparkling, virgin logbooks for Aircraft, Engine, Propellor and Avionics.

What entries need to be made in each prior to the initial inspection? Is there a source which states the exact wording to be used? I know there's one for the aircraft (I can find that) which states "This aircraft has been inspected blah blah blah", but what about prop? Avionics? Etc. Do I need to "log" the installation date of each piece of avionics, or the prop?

I just want to make sure I put the right things down and *don't leave anything out*.

TIA...

Steve

I'm just doing this now too so don't consider this an official answer. But I searched through all Airworthiness Directives, printed the ones that applied out and entered in my engine logbook those that I've taken action on (even if it's just determining I'm good).

I also entered ground runs (FAA wants 1 hour of ground run) and included the log I got from Mattituck.

I also entered all the recent work on mag timing, removal, Lightspeed timing and static RPM checks.

I added an entry in the airframe book for an ELT battery installation. I had SteinAir (Mike Hilger) do a transponder check and he gave me a sticker that I also put in the airframe book.

In the propeller book I entered the installation of the prop as well as its recent removal to change the position of the ring gear and reinstallation.

And, finally, I entered the entry that I've conducted an inspectin (the wording for this, I believe you can find on the EAA homebuilder site).

When you say "I entered", did you just use whatever wording came to mind, something that "sounded" official, or were there examples or required wording which you used?

E.g., whenever I get a BFR or IPC, the words the instructor *must* write in my logbook are *very* particular, no deviations allowed.

Is there someplace that lists the *required* logbook entries and the wording to use? I can think of a few off the top of my head:

Pitot-static system check
Condition inspection
Transponder check

etc.

From FAA Order 8130.2g (page 4-60)...

(4) Ensure there is a signed and dated statement from the owner in the aircraft records, that the aircraft has had an inspection performed in accordance with 14 CFR part 43, appendix D, or other approved programs, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation. The inspection will help reduce errors made during construction of the aircraft. This statement will support the owner?s inspection and airworthiness statement on block III of FAA Form 8130-6. AC 90-89, appendix 1, as revised, may be used.

Note: There is no requirement for airframe and powerplant mechanics to sign off on amateur-built airworthiness inspections. The aircraft builder?s signature on FAA Form 8130-6, block III, attests to the airworthiness of the amateur-built aircraft.

The language in the operating limitations will probably include (same order - page 4-68)...

(23) Condition inspections must be recorded in the aircraft logbook and maintenance records showing the following, or a similarly worded, statement: ?I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the scope and detail of 14 CFR part 43, appendix D, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.? The entry will include the aircraft?s total time-in-service (cycles if appropriate), and the name, signature, certificate number, and type of certificate held by the person performing the inspection.

Dan

The certification kit from the EAA gives you the exact wording you are looking for. The kit is worth the $15, or whatever they charge for it.

Note the FAA words Dan quoted "aircraft records"

The shiny log books you mentioned do not have to be the entire collection of aircraft records.

Keep a seperate 3 ring binder for the "other stuff" like the Mattituck records.

Your ground run entry in the shiny new engine log book can then just be a reference to the Mattituck papers in the aircraft records.