parashak

Plans don't specify how to cut the slots for the standard fuel pickup slots. First, I assume we cut slots in the top of the 3/8" line to act as a basic screen. Second, ballpark max fuel flow would be ~12 gph? So, the fuel pump would need to be able to draw about a gallon every 5 min at a couple inches negative head. (Not sure where the pump is oriented, I don't think it is lower than the aft wing spar.)

So, does this look OK? I'm thinking of Dremelling (verb?) in several more. How much is enough here?
060527pickup.jpg

Eight slots, 0.05" wide, halfway through the fuel line.
060527pickup2.jpg

Incidentally, the star shaped brackets on the right side are T-715s. Not mentioned in the plans or the instructions - just on the inventory. Each one is clocked a bit differently. Called Van's, and they said to just use the one that matches best after torquing; no need for lockwire. It's the way new builders comply with the SB.

TIA,

parashak said:
Plans don't specify how to cut the slots for the standard fuel pickup slots. First, I assume we cut slots in the top of the 3/8" line to act as a basic screen. Second, ballpark max fuel flow would be ~12 gph? So, the fuel pump would need to be able to draw about a gallon every 5 min at a couple inches negative head. (snip)
TIA,

Ballpark max fuel flow on my 200hp Lycoming is 20GPH full rich at takeoff power. I would pad at least 50% here. Actually, just make sure (using the TLAR method) that the total area of the slots is greater than the cross section of the tubing and you're in business.

Your slots look about the same as the ones on my QB, but IIRC the slots were on the bottom. Putting them on the top might reduce your usable fuel slightly.

James Freeman

Bottom or top?

I just assumed that they should be on the top to prevent picking up sediment as easily. Guess I'll have to look for some tubing to redo this.

fuel pickups

Van's also sells some pre-made fuel pickups with a screen already installed with proseal. Here's a picture of the Van's pre-made pickups with the pickups I received with the QB wing. Click on the image to go the the article, and a larger picture.

Paul, your pickup looks fine and I wouldn't go through the trouble to redo them. I did mine with the cuts on top and have seen several builder's do it this way also. I wouldn't worry about it reducing the amount of usable fuel. If your fuel gets down to where this small amount would make a difference you better revisit the FAA requirements on how much fuel you are required to land with at you final destination.