KCBerner

Well Known Member
What are you guys doing with the stall warner? I plan on using one of the AOA options so don't think I need the stall warning vane. Any thoughts?

The leading edge has a couple of holes prepunched to locate the vane slot. I'm thinking I can just dimple and squeeze a AD3 rivet to fill those holes. Is there a better option?

I thought about this for a while on my -7. I'm also planning on AOA, but I went ahead and installed the vane for a belt/suspenders approach. If the holes in the leading edge hadn't already been there I probably wouldn't have bothered with it.

Might be a good back up if you were to loose the AOA and air speed for some reason. We went ahead and installed it on the 10 so I did the same on the 14. You can hear the warning in the 10 on landing with the Bose headsets. With in the last year, a local pilot made a mistake when he removed an instrument to have it serviced. He departed the runway and after getting airborn noticed no airspeed. He had to land an aircraft with a considerable higher airspeed than an RV with no airspeed indication. He wasn't a builder (homebuilt aircraft) and had no idea that the pitot line he removed had to be blocked in order to have airspeed work. So it can happen.

Last edited:
I'm doing both from a liability standpoint. If I ever sold it, and a fatal stall/spin accident resulted, I'd hate for someone to say I consciously skipped a safety item....juts saying.:cool:

I left it out of my RV-10 as I will have the Garmin AOA for stall warning.

On the RV-10, the holes are punched in both wings, with instructions to "Rivet (fill) the two stall warning slot guide holes in the W-1001-R Leading Edge Skin with AN426AD3-3 rivets." So I would suggest that you fill the unused holes in your RV-14 in the same way.

Cheers,
Dave Macdonald