echoooo

Hi all.

I have bought a Stall warner 7/8/9 from Van?s on my RV-7. For a reason I ignore, it don?t work! I am sure it?s a simple issue, but cannot figure it.

I have connected the wires coming from the the wire connector of the stall warning plate as following:
- Left one: to a 2A breaker;
- Second from left: to ground;
- Thirdth from left : to the micro-switch;
- Right one : directly to one wire of the earphone jack of my headset as mentioned in the ordering information:

?Description
Kit allows simple installation, either to retrofit flying RVs, or during initial wing construction. Simple vane type stall warning device as installed on Van's demo airplanes. Includes a tone generator that can be connected directly to headset jacks for audible stall warning.?

When I trigger the vane, I hear a click out of the stall warning plate, but nothing in my headset.

The figure 2 of page OP46-06-RV-7,8,9, 08/06/09 of the installation sheet says to connect the right wire to the ?Audio mixer/Audio input?.

I suppose my problem is there? Do I have to connect this 4th wire elsewere?

Alain

Stall warner

The fourth need to go to the input on your audio system. The headset can't amplify the low signal. My guess. YMMV

I have connected the wires coming from the the wire connector of the stall warning plate as following:
- Left one: to a 2A breaker;
- Second from left: to ground;
- Thirdth from left : to the micro-switch;
- Right one : directly to one wire of the earphone jack of my headset as mentioned in the ordering information:

Use a temporary test wire and connect the third wire connection to ground and see if it works.
If it does, check to make sure you have a wire connecting the common terminal of the stall sensor switch to ground. The tone activates when the activation wire becomes connected to ground.

Mine is wired to my audio panel.
However, when I finished my wiring and tested it, it did not work.
I bypassed the stall switch and wired the contact to ground and it still did not work.
I ordered a new circuit board and now it works.
Apparently, I received a bad board in the kit.

The board is not listed separately on their online store, but I gave the part number from the drawing and was able to purchase one for $45. :mad:

Note that the warning sound is painfully loud. Luckily I wired it to an adjustable input on my audio panel. There is a thread here on VAF that discussed adding a resistor or pot to the circuit to control the sound level.

« The fourth need to go to the input on your audio system. The headset can't amplify the low signal. My guess. YMMV »

I think you could be right, but why Van’s site announces that one can connect the tone generator directly to the headset jacks?

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...776989-374-309&browse=fi&product=stall-warner

“Use a temporary test wire and connect the third wire connection to ground and see if it works.
If it does, check to make sure you have a wire connecting the common terminal of the stall sensor switch to ground. The tone activates when the activation wire becomes connected to ground.”

I have checked the continuity of the wire that connects the sensor switch to the tone generator and it was correct. And when I trigger the sensor vane, I hear a click out of the stall warning plate, but nothing in my headset. So I think the problem is not with the ground of that sensor switch, or with the sensor switch itself, or with the wire that connect it to the tone generator.

I have also bypassed the sensor switch of the vane with a jumper wire that I connected directly from ground to the «sensor» connection on the tone generator and heard a click out of the stall warning plate, but still nothing in my headset.

I have connected the other end of the wire that is connected to the «Audio mixer/Audio input» connection on the tone generator, to each spring blades of the earphone’s jack, one after the other, and still no sound in my headset. I did same with the spring blades of the micro’s jack without any result.

Unless Van is wrong when it says that I can connect the tone generator directly to the headset jacks, I think that, as taildrgr wrote, the problem is with the tone generator itself.

Before I order a new tone generator, could you tell me were I should connect the «Audio mixer/Audio input» wire of the tone generator to make a last test? I have no audio mixer. The only radio I have is a Garmin SL40.

Thanks for your help. Alain