jj_jetmech

Well Known Member
I'm not installing the stall warner as I have a GAP 26 AOA probe... I think I'll rivet this access hole/panel VA 195 closed for good minus the screws and nut plates then fill the remaining edge gaps during paint.

Is there something I'm not considering that could cause a problem later? Can't think of a reason to ever need in there?

It's for all the reasons I can't think of that I am going to leave mine removable but like you I can't think of a reason to go into that bay once the wing is complete.

I'm definitely on the fence about this one. I've been planning all along to just rivet the thing in place permanently, but now that I'm approaching the time when I'd actually do that, my reptilian brain is protesting on completely vague "what if" grounds, kind of like Sam mentions.

I'll probably still rivet it. I think.

Extended range Gas

When you install the Hotel Wiskey extended range gas tanks in your RV! You will wish Vans made those inspection plates in Both! Wings.:rolleyes:

What is to be gained from removing access area and adding body filler on the underside of the wing?

I left the hole open. Also, I built and installed the sender and wiring, then removed the sender. The next owner can reinstall the sender if they desire.

I highly recommend tapping out the plate nuts, or turning down the leading threads of the screws. It' difficult reinstalling, or even aligning the hex key to loosen screws for repositioning of the sender, because of very limited volume and obstructions interfering with your ability to engage the screws - you can't see what you're doing.

John Siebold

Last edited by a moderator:
What is to be gained from removing access area and adding body filler on the underside of the wing?

It's not being removed it's just not be added. Original Vans parts not being used.
Plug patch, plate and doubler fabricated using no nut plates or screws.

Body filler not required but a very minimal amount could be used to hide the patch!

Why?

One less area beat up by dimples rivets and screws. Cleaner aerodynamic surface. No need to see inside that area anyway, If there was there would be an inspection plate on the other side.

I've got an extra access panel, mostly due to putting the first one in the wrong wing. Still on the fence about putting in the stall vane, but no regrets about the extra access.

==dave==

Just to note if you felt the need to inspect that area of the wing a general condition inspection could be done by removing the the wing tip and using a flashlight and mirror.

Or there is a 5/16 hole in the spar behind the aileron bellcrank this must be a tooling hole as it is repeated in other bays, a borescope, at least the one I have fits through these holes just perfect.... :)