skyyking

Has anyone out there considered using stainless rivets to attach the firewall to the fuselage structure? Certificated airplanes use them but Van's will not endorse such a practice. The argument being that if the standard aluminum AN rivets melt due to fire, I'll have other bigger problems.

Use them if you want you are the aircraft manufacturer. It seems however you are creating a solution to a problem that hasn't happened in the RV world.

GAHco (post here) has monel rivets in stock.

<<...argument being that if the standard aluminum AN rivets melt due to fire, I'll have other bigger problems.>>

I intend to test that theory in due course. So much fun, so little time <g>

True, you will have bigger problems to think about...

but, check your plans. I think you will find that there are 4 to 6 LARGE bolts that attach the motor mount to the firewall, to the steel weldments that form the basic nose structure of the AC.

I doubt that the airframe structure aft of the firewall will depart from the motor mount / engine during the "eternity" that it takes to get down to terraferma. Those few aluminum rivets in the firewall will not help or hinder the outcome...

Steel Rivet into Aluminium Angle

When a steel rivet is driven into the "soft" aluminium angle you can see a slight bulging of expansion around the hole in the weaker aluminium piece. Is this airworthy?

Rivets Monel Vs Stainless

GAHco (post here) has monel rivets in stock.

<<...argument being that if the standard aluminum AN rivets melt due to fire, I'll have other bigger problems.>>

I intend to test that theory in due course. So much fun, so little time <g>

Monel Rivets are softer than Stainless Rivets.

The Monel (especially when plated) is Aluminum friendly.:)

The Stainless Steel is not Aluminum Friendly.:(

The Helicopter guys use the MS20615-(DIA) MP (LENGTH) (universal head) when there is a mix of Aluminum and Steel or Stainless. Very popular on Transmission decks to airframe.

We stock some of both but none of these are big sellers.

If you use these I would put the head against the Aluminum and have the tail be formed on the Stainless structure,

It does not affect the strength to use a rivet in either direction, this way just lets the bucktail be formed against the harder metal.

Info http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/solidrivets.pdf

Last edited:
Additional Info.

The countersunk Monel Plated rivets part number code is

MS20427M(DIA)C(LENGTH)

The M is for Monel

The C is for Cadmium 2 plated*

The DIA is in 32nds

The LENGTH is in 16ths

* the C or any other letter could mean different things in relation to different series part numbers, in some cases it means Stainless, Countersunk, Counterbored etc.

Check the specs or check with someone who has them or a reasonable and trusted reference to them.