JohnF

Well Known Member
I have permanently bolted on the rudder and stabilaor. The stabilator moves freely up and down to the stops. The forward edge of the stab. moves downward to a visually goodly degree, but when moved upward, the forward edge of he stab. doesn't seem to be "up" very much even though it hits the stops. Perhaps this is all a visual illusion although it seems to me that the stab. is then just more or less "level" with the in-flight plane of the fuselage.

I didn't see anything in the plans that gives some deflection angles. I would like to find what the total deflection angle of the stab. should be, and perhaps the "up" and "down" deflection angles that might be measured by a digital level.

Any data available from a finished RV12??

If you hit the stops you're okay. When you get your Acceptance Procedures at the end you are given measurements that will verify that you did it right. Unless you drilled some new holes you can't screw it up. Yes it does look a little strange at first. Move on. Get it flyin!

Had the EXACT SAME question when I bolted the HS the first time. Made two phone calls, immediately!! Sure looks like it does not move in the one direction a whole lot. BUT as Peter has said, if you are hitting the stops, you are more the likely OK AND it will be verified later.

stabilator deflection

Thanks, gents, I will quit sweating it....the idea that the neutral point is not where it looks as if it would be is what is probably fooling me.

JohnF

I had 2 RV builders looking at my stabilator pitch this weekend and the general belief is that I have something wrong. Good leading edge down pitch but very little leading edge up pitch. I believe I see the same issue John reported... Could some post some side view pictures of their stab in the max up/down position?

Thanks,
-Ron

You will have only about 3-4° of "down" stabilator.
This is pretty common on non-aerobatic aircraft with a stabilator.

Last edited:
With help from my local EAA Tech Counselor, we put a digital level on the stab today. The AC nose down pitch was 3.5 deg. & the AC nose up pitch was 15.6 deg. I've been sweating this issue all weekend thanks for the reply Mel... maybe I can sleep better tonight.

-Ron

Protoype Stab

I wanted to be sure that mystab deflections were correct so I shot some photos of the prototype when I checked out in the airplane. These are "full down" positions.

Wayne 120241/143WM
Stab.jpg

Wayne I found your picture on an earlier posting and took it to the hanger yesterday... it helped. My stab's leading edge looks very close to this but its hard to say... I tried to sight the lead edge with the row of rivets in front of it.

Thanks,
-Ron