s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
Have been talking to a bunch of folks about using SS instead of AL hose fittings in the Aeroquip 601 steel braided fuel lines. These are -6 lines but I can not find for the life of me a source for -6 SS hose end fittings. The are made for the -4 line as shown on the Aeroquip website. Any help is appreciated.

phelps:confused:

I searched-

and didnt find anyone that made stainless hose ends for 601, or similiar hose, that was reusable. Earls, Goodridge, Stratoflex, Aeroquip dont. If you want a stainless reusable for 601 hose, you will be looking for a while. I'd suggest you switch to teflon, and your problem will be solved. You can use a crimp on stainless hose end with a stainless collar, but there would have to be some engineering and testing done.
Tom

Use Tom

Say, Phelps,
Tom made all new SS, braided, firesleeved, teflon lined hoses for my -10 a year ago, oil and fuel...very inexpensive and quick service.

We replaced all the aluminum fittings with his SS...a far better solution.

Best,

Be careful!

From experience I have seen people connect stainless plumbing parts to aluminum parts. Over time the aluminum will be ruined and may swell and crack, it may plug itself and become flaky due to the deterioration of dissimilar metal corrosion. That can cause restriction that you would probably find too late.
This condition is the worst in fuel systems, but could also be a problem in other systems.

Cad Plated Fittings (Black or Yellow) are ok with Aluminum
(unless seaplane environment)

Aluminum to Aluminum OK!

Stainless to Aluminum will eventually cause problems.:eek:

Be careful out there!

Why do you want to make this change?

Just think about how many airplanes are flying with aluminum fittings (including RV's) without any problems.

Aluminum is fine, so is stainless steel, but...

Why do you want to make this change?

Just think about how many airplanes are flying with aluminum fittings (including RV's) without any problems.

No changes, just info. Depending on the environment that the plane is used and stored.

Aluminum is fine, so is Stainless steel, but there are known problems with dissimilar metals corrosion between these two materials. At some point the Aluminum will corrode and deteriorate to an un-airworthy condition.

I have repaired aircraft with this issue. I got to see it first hand living on a coastal town called Lompoc Ca. I used to be the Director of maintenance at Lompoc Aviation.

Last edited: